• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minerality why it's not on the wheel

Don Giovanni

I find myself in Jamie Goode's camp... especially on minerality...

As for the keeper of the wheel.......I too had asked why no mention of "Minerality" on the wheel ?

Dr. Ann Noble, creator and keeper of the wheel,

"Minerality is a concept which could never be consistently defined in words or physical standards. If someone could come up with a stone or metallic solution that had an aroma that could be used to define minerality, it could be on the wheel. But the criterion for being on the wheel is that it is objective, analytical and nonsubjective, nonevaluative, nonhedonic."

I suggest she go out to a cave or waterfall and see the gorges and smell the rocks at different locations....then find a blind person and take them to each place and let them describe what they can smell.... I will bet in no time flat the aroma wheel will them be revised to add minerality.

I live in Ithaca so I have the perfect place to smell the minerality of different locations...I.E. Watkins Glen, too..

Click On Me

Jamie Goode Click On Me

Randall Grahm Click On Me

Tim Patterson Click On Me

The Myth of "Minerality

Although elusive compared to other notables on the aroma wheel you have a point about minerality. Chablis and Muscadet have mineral aromas that are easily picked out in blind tastings. I'm all for adding a mineral element to the wheel.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

White wines that are high in acidity and low in alcohol often have a tanginess or flintiness or "mineral" quality.

I would say in most cases--"minerality" tasted in a wine has little or nothing to do with actual minerals.

The question is: what exactly were you tasting?

It is highly doubtful that you were tasting minerals.

The seashell component to the soil has more impact on the wine due to water drainage/retention than any specific flavors in the wine.

The main point is you enjoyed the wine!