• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brix v. Temperature

gap

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about this question for a while - I've tried searching the forum and googling as well but all to no avail. So, at the risk of leaving myself open to a "bashing" by the more scientific minded in our forum, here goes:

Is there a way to convert a brix reading to a temperature?

For instance, 75 brix seems to always be around 106-107 degrees celcius.

Here's my thinking. From my (very basic) understanding of sugar solutions, a saturated solution reaches boiling point at 106 degrees celcius. At any point of boiling above this, I'm guessing the sugar solution must be in a specific ratio to still be boiling. Ie., an 80% sugar solution has a boiling temperature at 110 degrees celcius - can you just say this is a brix of 80?

I'm probably oversimplifying this and missing some vital scientific point in the calculation but is there some sort of table that allows me to convert a temperature for a sugar solution to a brix reading? And if so, would I need to start with a specific ratio of sugar/water or (as I think) could I just start with any sugar/water ratio?

I'm not sure if it's quite as straight forward as that. I know when I make pates de fruit I get them up to temperature, then check the Brix a couple of times until it's right. So it may vary between pure sugar solutions and solutions with more 'stuff' in them.

I have a ton of books around here, I'll take a look later today and see what I can find out.

I have a question about brix as well: When using a brix meter, do you have to cool the solution before testing or can you put it right on the glass? I know brix is a much finer measurement of sugar concentration, but up to this point I've always done the drop of jelly on a cool surface to test for set point. I guess what I'm asking is will using a brix meter give me a more consistent pate de fruit? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Shane

I have a question about brix as well:  When using a brix meter, do you have to cool the solution before testing or can you put it right on the glass?  I know brix is a much finer measurement of sugar concentration, but up to this point I've always done the drop of jelly on a cool surface to test for set point.  I guess what I'm asking is will using a brix meter give me a more consistent pate de fruit?  Thanks for any advice in advance.

Shane

I believe it depends upon whether or not your scope is temperature compensating or not.

wybauw´s book Fine Chocolates has a beaume/brix/celsius table in it, besides that its a great book anyway :-)

cheers

t.

Thanks for that. I actually have the book but haven't looked at it for a while - might be time for a re-read :smile: