• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

9 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Although the bonbons in the photo below appear not to be colored, they are--with Chef Rubber's idea of what magenta looks like.

😂

If you're spraying so much CB that wiping off over-spray is a whole necessary thing and that's all the color you get, that is super weak.  Is it natural or just lame?

This was a very limited experiment, but tempering CCB does not appear to be necessary when airbrushing. 

Welcome to the dark side.  The CB should set up more quickly than that, still within 2-5 min like regular chocolate, though sometimes it doesn't and they still turn out fine. I don't actually temp my CB, just go with 'warm but not hot' on the inside of my arm. Like a baby's bottle.  And I shake it a lot.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Although the bonbons in the photo below appear not to be colored, they are--with Chef Rubber's idea of what magenta looks like.

😂

If you're spraying so much CB that wiping off over-spray is a whole necessary thing and that's all the color you get, that is super weak.  Is it natural or just lame?

This was a very limited experiment, but tempering CCB does not appear to be necessary when airbrushing. 

Welcome to the dark side.  The CB should set up more quickly than that, still within 2-5 min like regular chocolate, though sometimes it doesn't and they still turn out fine. I don't actually temp my CB, just go with 'warm but not hot' on the inside of my arm. Like a baby's bottle.  And I shake it a lot.

IMG_7091.jpeg