• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big fowl...

glennbech

Good quality produce is expensive. I just bought a free range "farm chicken" (Not sure what the international term is). The Price tag? $36 for ~ 2,5 kilos. How does this compare to other places in the world? This is high quality organic chicken from one of the better small farms in Norway (Stange gård).

Anyhow, this is what I got out of it;

- 2 x 400g Chicken breasts

- 2 x 450g Chicken legs

- 1 liter of delicious gelatinous chicken stock.

- 100g of meat removed from the carcas after the stock was finished.

- I tried something very interesting with the left over meat; I cooked it into a stew in loads of stock until all the stock was reduced. I was then planning to make tiny spring-rolls with the meat. Did anyone try this? I got it at a local restaurant last week, and the taste of the reduced stock with the meat was awsome. I ended up with a miserable atempt at chicken balls in a chicken soup instead, and the balls dissolved!! :-) I guess I Should have gone with the spring-rolls!

- Any Ideas for the chicken legs? I was thinking Clay pot cooking with cream/yoghurt, Indian style or something like that....

- Any Ideas for the leftover stock ? Soup ? Sauce?

- Any interesting recipies for a 400g chicken breast?

I really like buying the whole bild like this, and then try to make the most out of it. Even if it's an expenisve raw ingredient, it doesn't look too bad when you see everything you can get out of it. (Chicken soup, Spring rools, two chicken breast dinners, one chicken leg dinner etc.)

Edited by glennbech (log)

Let's see - that's about five and a half pounds - about $7 per pound if I am doing my math right (and I may not be :biggrin: ). That does seem quite high, even for free range/organic, but I bet it is tasty.

Is that American Dollars, or Euro? There could be a conversion factor, I suppose.

That was US dollars yes. The price of food is higher in Norway compared to our neighbouring countries, and more "exotic" things like organic/free range etc, are even pricier.

But is was tasty :-)

Glennbech, try marinating the chicken breasts with lemon juice, vinegar, lemon zest and ginger slices for about an hour. Grill or broil them afterwards (brushing with chicken fat or oil while grilling) and you'll be rewarded with the juiciest, tastiest chicken breast. Perfect with garlic fried rice.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos