• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Travelers

annecros

I knew we had an awful lot going on in this state, was still surprised to see Florida rank higher than New York for culinary tourists. :shock:

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1540003...ulinary+tourism

The study showed a slight majority of culinary travelers who participate in just food-related activities while traveling, with one-in-ten leisure travelers (10%), or 16 million Americans, reporting having done so. Another one-in-ten (9.4%), or 15 million Americans, participate in just wine-related activities. About 4 million leisure travelers participated in both food and wine activities.

On average, food travelers spend $1,194 per trip, with over one-third (36% or $425) of their travel budget going towards food-related activities. Those considered to be “deliberate” food travelers (culinary activities were the key reason for trip) tend to spend a significantly higher dollar amount of their overall travel budget on food-related activities ($1,271 average trip cost; $593 or 50% spent on food-related activities).

The top 15 destinations for food-related travel visited by the respondents (in order) include: California (14%), Florida (10%), New York (7%), Texas (6%), North Carolina (4%), Georgia (4%), Louisiana (3%), Illinois (3%), Nevada (3%), Pennsylvania (3%), Washington (3%), Hawaii (3%), Michigan (2%), Arizona (2%), Virginia (2%).

Wine travelers spend, on average, $973 per trip, with about one-fourth (23% or $219) of their travel budget going towards wine-specific activities. Those considered to be “deliberate” wine travelers spend more of their overall travel budget on wine-related activities ($950 average trip cost; $339 or 36% spent on wine-related activities).

The top 12 destinations for wine-related travel visited by the U.S. respondents in the survey include: California (31%), New York (10%), Missouri (5%), North Carolina (5%), Oregon (5%), Pennsylvania (5%), Washington (4%), Virginia (4%), Texas (4%), Florida (2%), Michigan (2%), Ohio (2%).

I've got the usual Floridian love/hate attitude about tourists. Come on down, leave your tax dollars, then leave please!

:biggrin:

Do early bird specials count as food related travel :smile: ? I really can't think of a single place in Broward County (or many other counties) that I'd travel more than 10 minutes to dine at. Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

I'm sorry, but as a frequent food traveler the results as stated make no sense to me. This is not to say that Florida doesn't have any culinary appeal, but it is most definitely not the first place I think of when deciding on a destination with food in mind. In addition to California, NY, Illinois and Las Vegas are clearly ahead in this regard and a number of other areas like Boston, D.C. and Philly arguably so.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Do early bird specials count as food related travel  :smile: ?  I really can't think of a single place in Broward County (or many other counties) that I'd travel more than 10 minutes to dine at.  Robyn

Well, there's Mark's las Olas, Primavera, Cap's Place, Tropical Chinese, Christene Lee's, Food Amongst the Flowers, Geronimo's, Pangea, Revolution, Rosies, Southern Comfort, etc., etc.

What kind of food do you want to eat?

If you really want to drive, we can talk Dade, Palm Beach, or Monroe Counties. Cuban, Carribbean, South American. I keep hearing exciting things about your area around JAX/St. Augustine (but haven't been that way in almost two years), and the recent pictures from a vacation somebody took in Destin gives me faith that the gulf is OK after the storms.

We load up and drive to the Keys to eat dinner from time to time. Just to get away.

Edited by annecros (log)

I'm sorry, but as a frequent food traveler the results as stated make no sense to me. This is not to say that Florida doesn't have any culinary appeal, but it is most definitely not the first place I think of when deciding on a destination with food in mind. In addition to California, NY, Illinois and Las Vegas are clearly ahead in this regard and a number of other areas like Boston, D.C. and Philly arguably so.

Don't be sorry! I thought of New York first, and California was down on my list. We've got DC beat, but only in my limited experience. Illinois never crossed my mind. I think we have a fair footing with Vegas.

But fair warning, and I can pull my camera out and document, the New York, New Jersey, Canadian, Ohian, Maine, Pennsylvanian and there was one from North Dakota today - liscense plates are in full bloom. That's how we tell when the seasons change in South Florida.

Somebody is coming here in search of something.

Edited by annecros (log)

In the hit or miss Miami dining scene, I would have to say the misses outnumber the hits by about 10 to 1, especially if you eat out on the beach. (I've posted about some hidden gems.) I wish that the survey had done some follow-up as to whether these 'foodies' were happy with their choice of destination.

Do early bird specials count as food related travel  :smile: ?  I really can't think of a single place in Broward County (or many other counties) that I'd travel more than 10 minutes to dine at.  Robyn

Well, there's Mark's las Olas, Primavera, Cap's Place, Tropical Chinese, Christene Lee's, Food Amongst the Flowers, Geronimo's, Pangea, Revolution, Rosies, Southern Comfort, etc., etc.

What kind of food do you want to eat?

If you really want to drive, we can talk Dade, Palm Beach, or Monroe Counties. Cuban, Carribbean, South American. I keep hearing exciting things about your area around JAX/St. Augustine (but haven't been that way in almost two years), and the recent pictures from a vacation somebody took in Destin gives me faith that the gulf is OK after the storms.

We load up and drive to the Keys to eat dinner from time to time. Just to get away.

Doc John is right. I like Florida (I've lived here for over 35 years - both south and north Florida) - and there's a lot to like about living here. But as a food destination it is definitely second or third rate (for the most part - see exceptions below). There's not a county in the state I haven't been to over the years - whether for business or pleasure - and the reason for the trip is always something other than eating. In fact - there are trips I'll avoid (like a shopping trip to Orlando) - simply because the eating is lousy.

The restaurants you mention range from old hat (Mark's on Las Olas is mediocre in my opinion - and it isn't even trendy like the old Mark's on 135th Street in Miami 20 years ago) - to kitschy (Cap's is kind of interesting simply because it's in Pompano but the boat road makes it seem like it's in the Everglades - OTOH - the food is totally mediocre or worse). Perhaps they are ok if you're in the neighborhood - but I'd never drive to Mark's or Cap's for the more than 10 minutes I mentioned above.

I really don't know what happened to south Florida. The food scene was so promising 20 years ago - so much was new and fresh. Now it is stale. And the execution and service are generally mediocre - if not downright poor. As for north Florida - we do have some edible to quite good food these days. But would I come here (in general) for the food? No way. The area where I live has world class golf - but certainly not world class food. I'd come here for the golf - and hope to have a few pretty good meals.

There are a few exceptions. North Florida is a good place for serious BBQ trekkies. The best rock shrimp in the world is in Titusville. Etc. But - in general - you're talking about places that are worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood. Not a detour - much less a destination journey.

I think the article you mentioned confuses tourism in general (of which we have a lot) with food tourism. I doubt there is a single tourist in Orlando who is there because of the food. Robyn

Don't be sorry! I thought of New York first, and California was down on my list. We've got DC beat, but only in my limited experience. Illinois never crossed my mind. I think we have a fair footing with Vegas.

But fair warning, and I can pull my camera out and document, the New York, New Jersey, Canadian, Ohian, Maine, Pennsylvanian and there was one from North Dakota today - liscense plates are in full bloom. That's how we tell when the seasons change in South Florida.

There is no place in Florida that has food equal to what you'll find in Chicago or Las Vegas - much less California. Like I said - someone is confusing the hunt for warm weather with food tourism. FWIW - all those out of state license plates don't mean doodle. You'll find tons in Fort Myers - and it isn't exactly on anyone's food radar screen. Robyn

There is no place in Florida that has food equal to what you'll find in Chicago or Las Vegas - much less California. Like I said - someone is confusing the hunt for warm weather with food tourism. FWIW - all those out of state license plates don't mean doodle. You'll find tons in Fort Myers - and it isn't exactly on anyone's food radar screen. Robyn

"...no place..." is a bit of an exaggeration. Without a doubt, North One10, Talula, Michy's, and a coupla seafood places (River Oyster Bar comes to mind) are of the first magnitude. However, the problem is all the hype-that's what drives the tourist dollars-directed towards South Beach.

"...no place..." is a bit of an exaggeration. Without a doubt, North One10, Talula, Michy's, and a coupla seafood places (River Oyster Bar comes to mind) are of the first magnitude. However, the problem is all the hype-that's what drives the tourist dollars-directed towards South Beach.

Michelle Bernstein is a good example of what's wrong with Miami. How long was she at Azul (which I found to be a competent but not very interesting place)? A couple of years at best? Then she disappears - and reappears at Michy's - which I predict won't be around 2 years from now. Reminds me a bit of Norman Van Aken's early career - here today - gone tomorrow - and then back again. Only to disappear in short order. You can't run a first class restaurant if you're in a different one every year or so. Robyn

...and of course, people who travel for food may also be looking for the kind of hole-in-the-wall experiences that Miami (and environs) provides in abundance.  Including our new Banh Mi/Bubble Tea joint and a genuine Yucateca restaurant (go figure).

Every place in the world has hole-in-the-wall joints. Some worth a dinner - none worth a journey. FWIW - just about every Chinese buffet in Jacksonville serves bubble teas. Used to be a novelty maybe 5 years ago. Isn't anymore. Robyn

That's very unfair. Bernstein is exactly what is best about Miami-a top chef paying her dues, and finally finding someone to back her in her ambitious endeavors, and succeeding beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Not everyone has $500K lying around to open a restaurant. Your prediction of Michy's demise is completely without foundation or merit. She did not 'disappear'. She found WORK-MB in Cancun, then consulting for Chodorow-the Social's in Miami and LA. Opening her namesake restaurant in an up-and-coming area of Miami took brains AND guts! (And to nearly universal acclaim, I might add!) If Bernstein is what's wrong with Miami, I don't want to be right.

Also, to say of hole-in-the-wall joints that 'none' are worth the journey is mere hyperbole.

Oh, and sarcasm.

Well I don't know about radar screens, but I had a pretty good meal at Prawnbroker in Ft. Myers.

Those out of state license plates mean no state income tax.

If Bernstein is what's wrong with Miami, I don't want to be right.

Also, to say of hole-in-the-wall joints that 'none' are worth the journey is mere hyperbole.

Bernstein is welcome to wrong me anytime, and I'll pay for the privilege.

Seriously though, Florida is easy to bash. When you think about it, Florida has three distinct regions, climates and mindsets. Four if you count the Keys. There really is no such thing as a cut and dried Florida cuisine. It seems kind of unfair comparing an entire state to a city.

Oh man, my favorite hole-in-the-wall up here in Broward is a Peruvian place called "El Rocoto" in a very scary looking (Wilma damage) strip mall. It's opened my eyes to a whole new cuisine, and the prices were reasonable enough that I don't mind experimenting a little bit.

I found your posts on the hidden gems in Miami very helpful when we first moved down from Palm Beach county.

There is no doubt that those who happen to travel to Florida or live there already can eat well. The state certainly has very good restaurants - but restaurants or food that people specifically travel to Florida for? Richard Blais and Norman Van Aken are two chefs who I would seek out, but I believe Blais is not currently running a restaurant.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

There is no doubt that those who happen to travel to Florida or live there already can eat well. The state certainly has very good restaurants - but restaurants or food that people specifically travel to Florida for?  Richard Blais and Norman Van Aken are two chefs who I would seek out, but I believe Blais is not currently running a restaurant.

I thought Blais was back in Atlanta, things not having worked out in Miami.

There is no doubt that those who happen to travel to Florida or live there already can eat well. The state certainly has very good restaurants - but restaurants or food that people specifically travel to Florida for?  Richard Blais and Norman Van Aken are two chefs who I would seek out, but I believe Blais is not currently running a restaurant.

I thought Blais was back in Atlanta, things not having worked out in Miami.

He may be. As far as cooking in a restaurant, I am not aware of it if he is, but if and where, that is a place that will go on my list for food traveling as his cuisine is one that I very much would like to try.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'd really like to see their survey instrument, because I don't think they're measuring what they're saying they're measuring. A couple pertinent quotes from the article:

A first-of-its-kind national survey on the popular culinary travel niche market shows that 27 million travelers, or 17% of American leisure travelers, engaged in culinary or wine-related activities while traveling within the past three years...

<snip>

Culinary activities participated in while traveling include cooking classes, dining out for a unique and memorable experience, visiting farmers markets, gourmet food shopping and attending food festivals. Wine activities included participating in winery tours, driving a wine trail, tasting locally made wines and attending wine festivals.

Culinary activities are pretty broadly defined, and it's doing them while traveling that counts, not doing the traveling because of the culinary activity. Lots of people travel to Florida. If you stop at a roadside market while you're in Florida, are you then a culinary traveler? I'd be interested in seeing how the location percentages compare to leisure travel in general.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

My husband and I plan to make a special trip to Destin this summer just to experience the culinary prowess of Sandor Zombori, who actually started cooking at Cafe Provence while we were there in February, but we didn't know it!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I'd really like to see their survey instrument, because I don't think they're measuring what they're saying they're measuring.  A couple pertinent quotes from the article:
A first-of-its-kind national survey on the popular culinary travel niche market shows that 27 million travelers, or 17% of American leisure travelers, engaged in culinary or wine-related activities while traveling within the past three years...

<snip>

Culinary activities participated in while traveling include cooking classes, dining out for a unique and memorable experience, visiting farmers markets, gourmet food shopping and attending food festivals. Wine activities included participating in winery tours, driving a wine trail, tasting locally made wines and attending wine festivals.

Culinary activities are pretty broadly defined, and it's doing them while traveling that counts, not doing the traveling because of the culinary activity. Lots of people travel to Florida. If you stop at a roadside market while you're in Florida, are you then a culinary traveler? I'd be interested in seeing how the location percentages compare to leisure travel in general.

Good points, Tammy. Obviously many tourists visit Florida. Many of those tourists also like to "dine out for a unique and memorable experience." For many of those tourists, just dining out is a unique and memorable experience. I'm sure that there are many restaurants in Florida, especially in the tourist centers that adequately meet that point for most of the travelers who go there. I would doubt very much though that there are many at all, who go to Florida specifically to eat in certain restaurants or to eat a particular cuisine as their primary reasons for going. Florida does have some fine culinary attributes, but overall as a culinary destination it is my experience and sense that it pales compared to many other such destinations in the US and elsewhere.

Twitter - @docsconz

That's very unfair.  Bernstein is exactly what is best about Miami-a top chef paying her dues, and finally finding someone to back her in her ambitious endeavors, and succeeding beyond anyone's wildest dreams.  Not everyone has $500K lying around to open a restaurant.  Your prediction of Michy's demise is completely without foundation or merit. She did not 'disappear'.  She found WORK-MB in Cancun, then consulting for Chodorow-the Social's in Miami and LA.  Opening her namesake restaurant in an up-and-coming area of Miami took brains AND guts!  (And to nearly universal acclaim, I might add!)  If Bernstein is what's wrong with Miami, I don't want to be right.

Oh, and sarcasm.

Well I will eat my words if Bernstein is there at Michy's 5 years from now. Or make it 4 (Miami is fickle). OK? And you can eat your words if she's gone. I do hope she has decent backers - the kind who understand that backing a restaurant really isn't a way to make terrific money. The kind who basically back restaurants the way some people like to back shows. For the love of it.

A hole in the wall joint is by definition not worth a journey. I'd recommend the Georgia Pig to anyone as having one of the best pulled pork sandwiches in the south - but I don't think anyone should travel from Miami - or even Jacksonville - to eat one. If you're in the neighborhood - that's a different story. What's the longest distance you have ever traveled specifically to eat at one hole in the wall joint (as opposed to eating at one when you're in the area for other reasons)? Miami to Homestead is about as far as I'd go - and only if the traffic wasn't bad that day. Robyn

Well I don't know about radar screens, but I had a pretty good meal at Prawnbroker in Ft. Myers.

Those out of state license plates mean no state income tax.

Well I've had pretty good meals in a lot of unlikely places. Had excellent fried chicken and the fixings in White Springs (FL) a few weeks ago. But I wouldn't call White Springs a food destination (although it is a destination for other activities - and on the way to Atlanta).

The lack of a state income tax has nothing to do (historically) with tourists. Way back when - states in the middle of nowhere - like Texas and Florida - states that were basically uninhabitable before air conditioning was invented - had to come up with all kinds of incentives to get people to move there. So they didn't impose much in the way of taxes (like income taxes) - and they encouraged people who were considered deadbeats to move there by legislating large homestead exemptions. Florida remains a deadbeats' paradise to this day (every time something blows up in the financial markets - the prices of our multimillion dollar homes go up as people seek to bury their ill-gotten gains in their "homesteads"). Robyn

Bernstein is welcome to wrong me anytime, and I'll pay for the privilege.

Seriously though, Florida is easy to bash. When you think about it, Florida has three distinct regions, climates and mindsets. Four if you count the Keys. There really is no such thing as a cut and dried Florida cuisine. It seems kind of unfair comparing an entire state to a city.

Oh man, my favorite hole-in-the-wall up here in Broward is a Peruvian place called "El Rocoto" in a very scary looking (Wilma damage) strip mall. It's opened my eyes to a whole new cuisine, and the prices were reasonable enough that I don't mind experimenting a little bit.

I found your posts on the hidden gems in Miami very helpful when we first moved down from Palm Beach county.

The main problem with eating in Florida has nothing to do with the size of the state - or the different areas of the state. California is larger - has just as many regions - and has better food - especially in the north. You can eat at random places in north California - and a bad meal is very much the exception. The primary problems as I see them are (and they are not unique to Florida - the same problems exist in lots of other places as well):

1) A lot of people don't have enough money to eat well. You may think of this as a central and north Florida problem - but a lot of our favorite hole in the wall restaurants in Miami went under when we got the lottery. The $50 a week people were spending on food on Calle Ocho went to lottery tickets instead.

2) A lot of our non-chain restaurants are terrible. I don't care if you're talking about Miami or Jacksonville or Pensacola - it is hard to find a mid-priced chef-owned Italian restaurant that is better than Maggione's. So if people don't have a lot of money for dining to start with - are they going to take a chance on spending $50 to get something awful - or are they going to go with the dependable chain product?

3) A lot of younger people (having grown up on fast food) don't know good food from bad food. A lot of older people eat like they're in nursing homes (even if they aren't). When my folks lived in Broward County - they had a favorite Chinese restaurant. We spoke with the owner. He started out by using good ingredients - like real black mushrooms. Older people would pick them out of the dishes and not eat them. So he stopped serving black mushrooms and used celery instead. Some people who do know good food from bad food don't care (they're more interested in the scene - 3/4 of the restaurants on South Beach wouldn't be there if people cared whether the food was good).

4) The tourists we tend to attract are generally lower income or ignorant about food - or they don't care about food. Or they travel with kids (Orlando is a huge metro area based in large part on travel with kids) - which means that even if they want better - they will usually wind up at McDonalds - or a place that serves food like McDonalds - fried chicken chunks - stuff like that). Ditto - double ditto (except for the kids part) - for any area that is a retirement area. If I were king of Florida - I'd abolish manufactured housing retirement communities. No reason to fill up the state with them - and the people who tend to buy them.

5) A lot of our "domestic" ethnic cuisines are undistinguished. E.g., there are some Cuban dishes I like - but Cuban food is in general undistinguished compared to cuisines like French, Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc. We were going great guns 20 years ago when our brightest chefs were developing original Florida food based on local ethnic influences and local ingredients - think Doug Rodriguez at YUCA - but things have been stalled for well over a decade. I've had better new southern food in Charleston than Florida (with a couple of exceptions) - and the best new southern meal I've had recently was at a new restaurant in San Jose California.

I'm sure there are other things I could list. Overall though - the food scene is very discouraging. Robyn

P.S. Then there is the fickle nature of the Florida diner. I wanted to eat at La Broche - but it opened and closed in less than six months. I got to Mosaico - but the head chef left about a month later. Two places I liked at Merrick Place opened and closed faster than I could write about them. Etc.

Edited by robyn (log)

Blais is gone - back in Atlanta - doing some catering (how long did he last - 6 months?). I think Van Aken is probably over the hill. At least with Norman's. I have not heard anything about his place at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando that makes me want to dine there. Quite frankly - I cannot recommend a single city in Florida as a dining destination. Although there are reasons to go to lots of locations in the state - everything from golf to diving to kayaking to art - and decent places to eat once you get here. Robyn