• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Travelers

annecros

Again, as far as the fish being a grouper or one of the fish that closely resembles a grouper in taste and texture, it doesn't really matter to me...

I happen to dislike grouper. And when I order snapper - I don't want someone to serve me a big hunk of grouper and call it snapper. If you don't care what fish you eat as long as it's fried - well it's your right to eat that way - but it doesn't really encourage restaurants to do the right thing when it comes to diners. Robyn

I happen to dislike grouper.  And when I order snapper - I don't want someone to serve me a big hunk of grouper and call it snapper.  If you don't care what fish you eat as long as it's fried - well it's your right to eat that way - but it doesn't really encourage restaurants to do the right thing when it comes to diners.  Robyn

That's a rather broad assumption you've just made there, Robyn. But I guess it's your right to think that way. :smile:

Why do I have a sudden urge to sing the song Ebony and Ivory right now, I wonder. Haven't thought of that song in years.

:huh:

(P.S. Actually I think that was the only batter-fried fish I've had in about two years. :biggrin: Goodness knows the dining upon it has put me in a certain uh . . . "class", hasn't it. :sad: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

I happen to dislike grouper.  And when I order snapper - I don't want someone to serve me a big hunk of grouper and call it snapper.  If you don't care what fish you eat as long as it's fried - well it's your right to eat that way - but it doesn't really encourage restaurants to do the right thing when it comes to diners.  Robyn

That's a rather broad assumption you've just made there, Robyn. But I guess it's your right to think that way. :smile:

Why do I have a sudden urge to sing the song Ebony and Ivory right now, I wonder. Haven't thought of that song in years.

:huh:

(P.S. Actually I think that was the only batter-fried fish I've had in about two years. :biggrin: Goodness knows the dining upon it has put me in a certain uh . . . "class", hasn't it. :sad: )

Well, you have company dear. About three weeks ago I picked up some fresh scrod and made fish and chips.

I also eat fish dozens of other ways, as well.

"If lovin' fried fish is wrong, I don't wanna be right..."

Oldies week on the Florida board, I guess. :biggrin:

I've never been a fan of tilapia (I find it tasteless) - but there are a reasonable number of farm raised fish - like trout and catfish - that are pretty good.  Farm raised catfish is especially good compared to "natural" catfish (it pan fries well and doesn't have that off-taste you frequently find in "real" catfish).

Overall - I think the problem with most fresh non-farmed fish is it is expensive and has a very limited shelf-life.  Which is why restaurants are tempted to and do cheat (in terms of substitutions and serving stuff that should have been thrown out yesterday).  A while back - I had lunch at Maggione's here - and the fish special on the menu wasn't available - the restaurant rejected the fish shipment (from a major Florida supplier) because it was spoiled.  How many non-chain small restaurants would be that honest?  Robyn

Most non chain small restaurants that I have been to would. I am sorry you have had so many bad experiences with food poisoning. Remarkable.

I don't care for catfish, period. My husband enjoys it, but I don't like the mushy texture of the flesh. Even farm raised, they are the original bottom feeders.

But, horses for courses. :biggrin:

I have always been fond of that "If you don't have anything nice to say" saying as well, robyn.