• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painting on Fondant

JeanneCake

Next week, I have a client who wants the bottom tier of her wedding cake painted in the style of Mondrian; black outlines around rectangular shapes painted in primary colors - blue, red, yellow.

I've been playing around with some options and am not satisfied with the results so far. Luster dust has too much shimmer, petal dust is too flat; painting with straight paste or my liqui-gel colors stays tacky. The plan is to mark the outlines with a scribing tool, paint the blocks and then do the outlines in black royal icing. I know if I got really desperate, I could do the edible image thing, but I really don't want to because the rest of this cake is pretty wild and it just wouldn't look right.

Has anyone ever used a cocoa butter/powder color "paint"? Any guidelines.. advice.. warnings? Last night, I was flipping through channels and caught a brief segment on the FoodNetwork - the show was at Disney and they showed someone painting a floral vine on a fondant cake and I thought they said cocoa butter....

I have used the cocoa butter mixed with powdered coloring and it works beautifully. I mix the colors needed before hand and keep the small bottles in a little electric skillet with water to keep them at a "working" temp. The powder color is great because you can get the color as light or as dark as you need.

Good luck

1. What about air brush color mixed with everclear or lemon extract--you don't have to keep that warm and it dries quickly. Great paint!

2. Gel or liquid food color mixed with the alcohol.

3. When Colette was 'painting' a fondant covered cake for that cake competition she was sponging the color on with something, if I remember correctly.

4. Use the dusts to enhance the colors after the paint dries.

I vote for #1.

I used colored cocoa butter as ink once for coloring a stamp I was using--I would to need to refine that technique before I tried it again

Umm, I've used straight color before to paint with and it dried in a few hours. It would sure dry at least by overnight for me. And I didn't even use my trusty hair dryer :rolleyes: Honest! Air dried!

I used gel colour straight onto white chocolate fondant with a paintbrush and it dried after an hour or so. To get Mondrian-dark colours I can see it taking longer to dry, though.

Yes, K8, Colette used a paper towel or a J cloth or something to blot on the colour, I finally got to see that show yesterday.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies