• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

venue

EDS33

According to their website, and the menu posted in their window, they offer a seventy-dollar

"Pre-Fixed (sic) Tasting Menu".

It makes me wonder about such dishes (not all from the Tasting Menu) as:

Turkish coffee scented atlantic salmon tartare. savory lemon balm ice cream & chocolate pinot noir ganache;

Porchini gnocci. veal reduction, wild mushroom foam, shitaki chips & cocoa dust;

Composed salad of mizuna, roasted baby beets, haricot verts & almond praline. Aged balsamic vinaigrette & gorgonzola froth;

and

Braised lamb shank tortelloni. confit tomatos, saffron emulsion & thyme infused creme (Complimented with lamb cappuccino).

The website says that "chef James George's plan is to redefine the art of the dinning experience. he sends his patrons to a world where "food is art".

I'm still stuck on "Pre-Fixed".

Where on Washington?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This was on Table Hopping With Rosie 2/16.

Executive Chef/owner James George Sarkar has recently opened Venue Restaurant, 518 Washington Street, Hoboken; BYO. Some items on Chef Sarkar’s menu are: Turkish coffee scented Atlantic salmon tartare with savory lemon balm ice cream and chocolate pinot noir ganache; grass fed beef tenderloin ravioli with black trumpet mushrooms, soy caramel, toasted sesame and kabocha squash mousseline; pan seared Arctic char with braised bok choy, parsnip puree and Tahitian vanilla foam; roasted garlic crusted pork chop with caramelized Maui onion risotto, braised prunes, cherry verjus and port wine reduction; braised lamb shank tortelloni with confit tomatos, saffron emulsion and thyme infused creme complimented with lamb " cappuccino." A seven course prix-fixe tasting menu is also available for $70. Desserts include a chilled pear soup with caramelized pear spring roll and basil ice cream; chocolate brioche bread pudding with banana ice cream, fried plantain and walnut coulis; and a "Carnival style" funnel cake with cotton candy, lavender ice cream and candy apple tuiles. Venue is open Tuesday to Thursday and Sunday 5 to 10 PM; and Friday and Saturday 5 to 11 PM. For reservations call 201- 653-6111.

I was there once. It is a beautiful, modern restaurant with dramatic lights that change color.The presentations were gorgeous but in my opinion some combinations didn't work. Some did!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 7 months later...

Here's a NYTimes review by David Corcoran. Based on the review, it kind of sounds like "Alinea Lite" with it's unconventional serving pieces and preparations, but maybe that's overstating the case. Anyway, Mr. Corcoran surely enjoyed it, rating Venue as "Excellent."

A brief excerpt:

Passing through two sets of heavy frosted-glass doors, they would find themselves in a spare but stunning two-story space, with bare blond wood floors, a dozen or so tables laid in austere blacks and whites, side walls painted shades of putty and mango, and a back wall lighted in constantly shifting neon-tinged pastels.

The effect is not exactly restful, but it is intriguing: a visual appetizer for a menu that delivers sights, tastes and textures unlike anything most of us have encountered. As a friend put it recently after I steered her to Venue for an anniversary dinner, "Did I really have an appetizer of rose petal and nasturtium tempura in almond milk foam?"

In truth, that dish struck me as one of the few misses among the several dozen I sampled in two dazzling evenings at Venue, but it is worth describing for the effect alone. It is served atop a long clear-glass pipe that looks like something out of a chemistry lab. (It is actually a votive candle holder.) In each of five indentations is a little fried packet resting on a pale foam pillow, pink and white petals peeking shyly through the brown crust.

Other weird accent notes mentioned include "madras curry cotton candy," "verjus-flavored cherry leather that is chewy and then yielding, like jerky." I'm certainly intrigued....

Christopher

Edited by plattetude (log)

According to their website, and the menu posted in their window, they offer a seventy-dollar

"Pre-Fixed (sic) Tasting Menu".

I'm still stuck on "Pre-Fixed".

There's a new place in Montclair (Le Carousel) that has a similar menu, except they don't even bother with the hyphen, it's simply a Prefixed Menu.

I keep wondering whether it's an uber-menu or an ur-menu.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Based on what the NYT article said this week, I'm surprised people haven't been talking about this restaurant more. The Ferran Adria/Alinea/wd-50 vibe seems to be hot these days, but I had no idea a place like this existed in New Jersey. Yes, the combinations seem somewhat contrived but if they work, that's all the more suprising.

I'm certainly adding this place to my list.

You can view venue restaurants menu and space at www.venue-restaurant.com

Yes, that's the site that piqued my interest after reading the NYT piece.

Ive got reservations for tonight. Ive heard very good things. I hope this place is as good as Corcoran made it seem. I heard that this place is very creative and does a decent amount of el bulli style things but they do not try as hard as Moto or other el bulli imitators. I will give a detailed report on my experience tomorrow.

Ive got reservations for tonight.  Ive heard very good things.  I hope this place is as good as Corcoran made it seem.  I heard that this place is very creative and does a decent amount of el bulli style things but they do not try as hard as Moto or other el bulli imitators.  I will give a detailed report on my experience tomorrow.

don't forget to bring wine, if you want wine. the food leans towards the sweet side of the spectrum, so that might be a consideration when chosing wine.

i don't see how corcoran gave this restaurant "excellent." i don't think that a BYO restaurant can be "excellent", but that's probably neither here nor there. the food is definitely interesting, and some of the chef's creations caused me to utter "what the f*ck?", in a good way. when the server came out with a glass of what she described essentially as "air", i didn't know what to do. the "air" was the coolest thing i've eaten in a long time.

i'd recommend that people put themselves in the restaurant's hands. i chose a 5 course menu, and was quite satisfied and blown away. however, after close to 200 bucks and bringing wine on top of that (and parking if you can't snag a street spot), i would be surprised if this place can survive without "dumbing it down" a bit. i hope, for my sake, they don't have to do that, because i like it just the way it is.

definitely request the scallops, short rib, and pear salad. and the squash soup.

Tommy, After reading your post of this rest. we will definitely go. Sounds very interesting even if a bit over the top.

My one question to you though is; would you please explain why a BYOB rest. should not receive an excellent rating. What has the wine list wine got to do with the preparation of the food? Thanks in advance for your answer which I am very interested to hear.

Also, would you say that an Alsatian Getwurtz would go well with the sweeter style of food.

Hank

Personally, I'd want something drier than that if the food is going to be sweet, but I'll let Tommy weigh in, esp since he's familiar with the menu.

Looking forward to your report, Hank!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm still shocked that a place like this even exists in New Jersey. The "air" concept seems a little too Alinea to me but interesting nonetheless.

It would seem that they're "dumbing down" the place by offering the $15 sampling of six of their "small plates." I wonder how much food that is and how that compares with their standard, tasting menu offerings.

Okay the menu looks interesting enough that I may want to venture to that area however I have 2 questions. Is it handicapped accessible? Is there parking within 1 block or less. (see question 1) Thanks! If not fedex it to me! LOL

*HELP!!!!!* Does anyone know ? Thanks.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

The "air" concept actually started at el bulli. Restaurants like cafe atlantico in dc and alinea do renditions of it. But it is definitely not an Alinea thing.. Credit ferran with that one.

I'm still shocked that a place like this even exists in New Jersey.  The "air" concept seems a little too Alinea to me but interesting nonetheless.

It would seem that they're "dumbing down" the place by offering the $15 sampling of six of their "small plates."  I wonder how much food that is and how that compares with their standard, tasting menu offerings.

the "tapas" menu was not presented the night i went. just the 4/5/6/7 course tasting option.

the concept is very ailnea/adria without a doubt, including the presentation. very cool for NJ.

We need places like this in our great state. I have spoken to the chef and he seems to be a nice guy. I wish him the best. Tommy I was just thinking about what you wrote when I was reading the NYT this moring and Dave Drake got ****. The 1st thing I looked to see was there a wine list. Does BYOBs deserve ****. I dont know? What does everone think. HI Curlz and Hank

I had an amazing dining experience last night at this place. I was and still am in shock that a place like this is actually in New Jersey. You walk through a set of froasted double doors and then you enter this amazing space with a lit wall of color changing hues. The tables are set in all white with white marble chargers. The tapas menu was not offered to us either just the tasting menus. My girlfriend and I took Tommy's advice and opted for a four course and we "put our selves in the restaurants hands." First of all I wanted to kick myself for not bringing a camera to take pics but I will have to on my next visit. Our amuse bouche was some king of rabbit roll with a carrot water. Very interesting and tasty. For our first course my girlfriend was given the "burnt pear salad" and I recieved crispy rock shrimp. The presentations of both thses dishes were phenominal. The burnt pear salad doesnt look or taste anything like a salad. It is a line of cylinder shaped apples that have been heavily caramelized then topped with a blue veined chesse fondant and a spicy pecan with a single selery leaf placed atop each one ( I think there is about 5 of them) They all sit on a small puddle of caramel gastrique. The crispy shrimp had the coolest presentation I have ever seen for a dish anywhere. They are coated with a tangy and spicy aioli and places in a glass tube that kind of looks like a bong laying flat. There are six indentations with the shimp sitting in each with toastd sesame and frizzled wasabi leaves. At this point we could have left and already be completely blown away. The second course consisted of Diver Scallops for myself and " paella" for my girlfriend. The scallops were ultr good and were topped with an airy orange foam. They melt in your mouth. This"paella" was the most interesting of the dishes we sampled. It consisted of a saffron rice that had been puffed, with edamame beans, manilla clams and ausralian prawns. The dish comes with two pipettes that are filled with a very strong flavored paella broth. We felt wierd squirting it in our mouths but the taste was delicious and you can actually taste all the elements of traditional paella in this broth. At this point in the meal we were so overwelmed that it was almost exhausting. In a good way. We kept telling ourselves and the server"I cant believe this place is in NJ. Why? The culinary wasteland of the universe. Thank god. Any how, next came the air. This was the sickest thing Ive ever had in my life! It comes in a champagne flute and is flavored with orange blossoms. This thing was so good and refreshing. Just to let you know, to recieve the air you must order at least a four course menu. After interegating outr waiter on how the chef makes it he said that ist is a foamy emulsion that is frozen with liquid nitrogen. Youve got to be shitting me! Wild. Next came the Lamb raviolo and foie gras beignets. Im not a huge fan of fioe gras but this preparation was easy for me to eat. To doughnut shaped beignets filled with liquifide foie gras served with chocolate ganaches cranberrys cooked in somekind of japanese vodka and cand apple sorbet. The hot and cold element of this dish was enjoyable and interesting. The lamb rav was also interesting. It comes with akujura(sp?) and dehydrated garlic yogurt and micro mint. This dish was very robust and a bit spicy. It was a good change form the previous dishes we sampled. Next the shortribs. AHHHHHHHH. Amazing. So tender you would think it was butter. I dont know how they get it so tender but If you go there, make sure you get this one. It was the best preparation I ever had. The venison was also excellent coming with a "cherry leather". This was an amazing element to this dish. The best way i can describe the is that it is like a thicker more natural tasting version of a fruit rollup. It starts off slightly chewy then dissolves in your mouth. Interesting. Next came a wild berry "fizz". This was also very cool. Dehydrated Berries ground up with poprocks. Definitely whimsical and interesting. Last was dessert. I was a bit upset with the dessert That was chosen for me. Im not a big fan of sweet potatoes so a pana cotta didnt do much for me. Its my fault. I should have told the server that is the only dessert I didnt like. Some luck! They did offer to give me something different but at this point Iwas so full I didnt want to impose on the kitchen. My wife recieved a black pepper and chocolate soup with a funnel cake type thing, turkish pistachio ice cream and mango aspic on a bamboo skewar. Awsome dessert. I highly reccomend this one. With the check we also recieved a pear and ginseng injection which comes in a pipette.

In my opinion this is the place to go in Nj if you are into a serious dining experience. There is nothing in the state doing anything remotely close to this. I just recommend you go with an open mind and try everything! I now know why this place got an excellent without a liquor licence. Its a shame they dont have one but if they did, alot of us probably wouldnt be able to afford it. So its a good thing. I just wish I brought a camera. Ive also been to wd-50 on the lower east side, and in my opinion, this place is better. Check it out and get the short ribs.

I'm probably wd-50's biggest supporter on all of eG. I LOVE that place to the point of adulation. The mere prospect that this place might somehow be better is very, very exciting.

I'll be going to Venue over Thanksgiving break from school, so about a month away. A month after that I'll certainly be going back to wd-50 for their winter tasting menu when I get home for Christmas break. And I have a day trip planned to Chicago to eat at Alinea just before the new year. It will be most interesting to see how all three compare.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Okay the menu looks interesting enough that I may want to venture to that area however I have 2 questions.  Is it handicapped accessible?  Is there parking within 1 block or less. (see question 1) Thanks!  If not fedex it to me! LOL

*HELP!!!!!* Does anyone know - please let me know...? Thanks.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Okay the menu looks interesting enough that I may want to venture to that area however I have 2 questions.  Is it handicapped accessible?  Is there parking within 1 block or less. (see question 1) Thanks!  If not fedex it to me! LOL

*HELP!!!!!* Does anyone know - please let me know...? Thanks.

anonymouze, the restaurant is on street level with the restrooms apparently downstairs. the nearest parking is a multilevel parking garage about 2 blocks away. i'd call the restaurant for details: relying on an internet forum for information like this probably isn't the best way to go.

I sent my family on a recon mission to Venue to check it out before I visit it next month. Generally, they said it was very, very good and certainly among the top restaurants in New Jersey. As good as wd-50, however? They said no. The three of them got the 4-course tasting menu and each tried different items. The short ribs were supposedly among the best dishes of the evening

I will post a full update with my impressions when I go.

I sent my family on a recon mission to Venue to check it out before I visit it next month.  Generally, they said it was very, very good and certainly among the top restaurants in New Jersey.  As good as wd-50, however?  They said no.  The three of them got the 4-course tasting menu and each tried different items.  The short ribs were supposedly among the best dishes of the evening

I will post a full update with my impressions when I go.

Bryan, can you elaborate on why yr family thought venue wasn't as good as WD-50? In my opinion "pickled tongue" is not appetizing nor tasty.

Edited by dRock (log)

dRock I was curious why you found Venue better than WD-50. I was interested in your dislike for the tongue at WD-50 and the lack of offal on the Venue menu with that stated would you say venue is the "safer" less offal etc. rest.