• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

venue

EDS33

Effective immediately, Venue is offering 20% off on Tuesday thru Thursday, as well as Sunday.

Just to reiterate the questions of other posters, is this still in effect? Hoping it is for Sunday...

Yes it is in effect, but you must mention it to receive the discount.

Can you mention the discount when making a reservation? I wouldn't be apt to ask for a discount when either walking in or when receiving the bill.

Thanks

Sure. That would probably be the best way.

I tried going here yesterday at 8 pm it was closed,machine says

they are open on monday, called today at 7 pm answering machine

picked up , anyone know anything

Sorry. Had to close monday. My sister went into labor, and there were no reservations for that evening. Tuesday we were open. If the machine picked up, someone will probably return your call early today. to confrim your reservation.

Well thats not bad, i thought maybe you folded in, which wouild be a shame.

I've become intrigued about this place over the last couple of days since I first read about it in another thread. I am amazed that I hadn't hear about it before. I actually just changed my dinner plans for Friday to check this place out. Will have a report soon after...

Arley Sasson

We made our way over to Hoboken for dinner at Venue last night. Overall we had a very good experience, we were a little worried about earlier comments about the meal taking 4 hours, but we were actually done in roughly 2-2.5 hours, so that seems to no longer be an issue.

We basically ordered everything on the menu with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 items (we had two different 7-course tasting menus). Earlier reviews on the food were spot on. While some combinations worked extremely well (eg. cepe soup, tuna maki, sable fish), there were some that just didn't work for us. In my view the restaurant gets high marks for creativity and outstanding presentation, yet this kind of food is not for everybody. I strongly agree with BryanZ's earlier comment that if you are lucky or unlucky with your selections you can end up with either an outstanding meal or a mediocre one. It makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for the restaurant to offer a 17-course tasting menu with much smaller portions (a la Alinea/elBulli).

What we kept wondering the whole time during dinner was whether Hoboken is the right place for Venue or if it would do better in NYC. I also am a big fan of WD-50, yet as it was mentioned earlier, the styles and what the food is about in each place are different and am not sure that they would be so much "competition". Tobacco ice cream and carbonated miso are not for everybody, and I think an issue here is whether there are enough paying customers that will go to a place to try something completely different, even though there is a high possibility that some of the things they have, they will not like at all, and whether there are enough of these customers in/around Hoboken or willing to make the trip there for the experience.

Overall we found that the trip and the cost ($260 after tax & tip) were well worth it and do plan on returning to sample next season's menu.

Arley Sasson

• 3 weeks later...

What makes this kind of item more than a novelty gimmick is the intensity and purity of flavor that can be packaged within plus the textural sensation of having them pop in the mouth. At its best, this kind of product is fantastic. Good luck, Chef.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If docsconz and I are correct, it's the same technique.  We'll have to wait back to hear from Jasper, however.

The techniques are very similar. We reduce the liquid to concentrate the flavor of the product before we add the alginate. As doc said, the result is an amazing texture and concentration of flavor that bursts on to the palate.

• 2 weeks later...

Could I ask a couple of questions - what is the cost of the tasting menu (is there one, or is it just the four and six course menues) and is it still BYO? If it is BYO - what are some wines recommendations that you may have for this place?

I vaguely remember having these... if I recall correctly, it was like fresh berries with some "pop rocks"-type thing on them. They were tasty! Perhaps Jasper can enlighten us on how exactly these are made.

Arley Sasson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...