• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Dominion Imperial Pilsner

LJDolan

On my way home from work, I stopped by to see if the Old Dominion spring seasonal was on tap, an imperial pilsener this here. It was, and I experienced beer nirvana today. I have already had my favorite new beer of 2004.

Imagine Tupper's Hop Pocket Pils on steroids. I found nothing wrong with this beer. Perfect body, perfect hoppiness (and they wanted to make it hoppier), and not overly alcoholic, though it weighs in at 8.5% ABV.

They will be bottling it next week.

Malarkey, if you read this, the offer is still open to send you some.

Honestly, I tasted this and thought it was way out of balance and didn't hold a candle to last year's spring brew (a saaz bock). YMMV.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Honestly, I tasted this and thought it was way out of balance and didn't hold a candle to last year's spring brew (a saaz bock).  YMMV.

I surely hope you thought it was out of balance as in leaning too heavily on the hoppy side. For me, that's an endorsement! :smile: Yum.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rogue makes an Imperial Pilsner, and I just finished a bottle yesterday. It's extremely malty and 8% alcohol. I didn't much care for it. I don't know what it is about the brewers in the Pacific Northwest. They seem to be deathly afraid to make a balanced brew.

Honestly, I tasted this and thought it was way out of balance and didn't hold a candle to last year's spring brew (a saaz bock).  YMMV.

I surely hope you thought it was out of balance as in leaning too heavily on the hoppy side. For me, that's an endorsement! :smile: Yum.

The hop level was fine. The alcohol was out of balance.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

I thought last year's was the regular maibock.

I certainly remember one of the casks they sold as "spring brew" was a saaz bock--what they bottled, I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember the bartenders saying that the CO2 spring brew at the brewpub was a saaz also.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

I picked this Dominion Spring Brew up at Wegmans the other day, for the bargain price of 4.99, and while I find myself agreeing with Jake as far as the perception of alcohol, it did pair beautifully with the jambalaya we made that night. Thank you for the suggestion LJ.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I picked this Dominion Spring Brew up at Wegmans the other day, for the bargain price of 4.99, and while I find myself agreeing with Jake as far as the perception of alcohol, it did pair beautifully with the jambalaya we made that night.  Thank you for the suggestion LJ.

Steve,

I did talk to Head Brewer Bill Madden today at Capital City Brewing in Arlington. He was able to try the imperial pilsener last week and really liked it. He told me that Clipper City is also coming out with an imperial pilsener.

BTW, my first name is Lloyd.

Edited by LJDolan (log)

Rogue makes an Imperial Pilsner, and I just finished a bottle yesterday. It's extremely malty and 8% alcohol. I didn't much care for it. I don't know what it is about the brewers in the Pacific Northwest. They seem to be deathly afraid to make a balanced brew.

There are a few balanced brews out here... somewhere. But most are rather highly hopped - too much kills my palate. Possibly because most of the hops in the US are grown there? What's your choice for a well balanced brew?

Brew-Monkey.com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.

• 1 year later...

We got a whole case of this Spring Brew last year and I drank a couple of them recently. I don't know if it was my imagination, but it tasted better to me. I didn't expect that this would be a beer to benefit from aging. Any thoughts?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I really enjoy everything brewed by Old Dominion. Their selections are wonderful. I hate having to go all the way to Maryland to pick up their beer. Looks like another road trip to State Line Liquors is in order.