• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stout Floats vs. Porter Floats

Susan in FL

This was a topic back in the day of the beloved Prodigy Beer Board which I would like to revisit. I have always been partial to stout floats, especially Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate, but tonight I had one using Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter (with Breyers Natural Vanilla)... yum! What do you prefer, or what is your current favorite, and what kind of ice cream?

Mmmm...? I wonder how it would be with DFH Chicory Stout and coffee ice cream.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This was a topic back in the day of the beloved Prodigy Beer Board which I would like to revisit. I have always been partial to stout floats, especially Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate, but tonight I had one using Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter (with Breyers Natural Vanilla)... yum! What do you prefer, or what is your current favorite, and what kind of ice cream?

Mmmm...? I wonder how it would be with DFH Chicory Stout and coffee ice cream.

Sierra Nevada Porter and Vanilla Fudge ice cream, first concocted by our very own Mike Gates way back when, when we did Beer Float tastings in the No Bull Inn.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I've used Okocim Porter and chocolate ice cream with good results. But my favorite mix has been a mint stout that I made and choclate ice cream, mmm, mmm good! I introduced my BiL to this concoction not long ago and he can't get enough! Always asking me to make those beer floats! :biggrin:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Black Hook Espresso Stout float....mmmmm.

I think that stouts work better in general because of the bolder flavor and they seem to compliment the flavor ice cream better.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If you really wanna go all the way, with all beer, make the ice cream from a stout! I have made stout ice cream before and it was very tasty, almost like coffee or cappucino ice cream with just a hint of hops. Had nice light brown color.

I made just a regular vanilla ice cream custard and then added a bottle of homebrewed stout, heated and stirred until well blended and some of the alcohol burns off. Cooled it and then put it into my electric, refrigerated ice cream maker. Very nice! :smile:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I did a float with Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter and my local dairy's (Goodnoe's) black raspberry ice cream. The two clashed until they mixed, and then it was fantastic. The dark pit fruit of the Porter and the creamy razz in the ice cream really hit it off.

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

A bottle\can of Guinness, a large scoop of a nice french vanilla ice cream, and a double shot of my home-roasted Liquid Amber espresso. A Deschutes Brewing Obsidian Stout also works well.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Bob, I gotta do that!  How much stout would you suggest for a 4 to 5 cup recipe?  I usually use the little ice cream maker these days.

just do a search on guinness ice cream and you'll find some recipes. most recipes call for reducing the stout. be careful doing this as it can scorch and end up tasting burned.

good luck, its really quite fantastic.

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

just do a search on guinness ice cream and you'll find some recipes. most recipes call for reducing the stout. be careful doing this as it can scorch and end up tasting burned.

good luck, its really quite fantastic.

Thank you :smile:

I did a float with Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter and my local dairy's (Goodnoe's) black raspberry ice cream. The two clashed until they mixed, and then it was fantastic. The dark pit fruit of the Porter and the creamy razz in the ice cream really hit it off.

I seem to recall a similar float you created with Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout and Goodnoe's raspberry swirl ice cream; I actually tried that one myself and it was magnificent!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 1 year later...

Bwah! Unbelievable- I had no idea there was a thread about this topic.

Well, summer is coming, and there seem to be a lot of good ideas here...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I did it.  I went out to WalMart for ice cream...

gallery_13038_837_24147.jpg

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout and Breyers Vanilla

Cheers!

And HOW DID IT TASTE????

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I would guess the aged BBCS is much better as a float then a fresh one. I wold think that the hoppy bitterness of young BBCS would clash with the sweetness of the ice cream.

I agree. In the past when I had floats with this beer, I was always in a hurry and used them up instead of giving them the time to age. They were always real good, but more bitter. After being "off" beer floats for a while, they have some age now. I think I'm back "on" them now. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to try a beer float but i just havent gotten around to it

This may sound like a silly question but could you make a shake or malt out of something like this? Would combining everything in the blender work or do you need to keep the beer and ice cream seperate like you would in a root beer float

I think a shake or malt would be worth a try... :smile: With the beer's carbonation the worst thing that could happen is that you would blow the lid off your blender. :biggrin:

I do make it like a root beer float.

Please let us know what you try.

Possibly off-topic, but has anyone here tried guinness punch? Similar to a stout float, it's a West Indian favourite, made by taking guinness foreign extra, condensed milk, egg yolk, coconut milk, ice, nutmeg and allspice...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Possibly off-topic, but has anyone here tried guinness punch?  Similar to a stout float, it's a West Indian favourite, made by taking guinness foreign extra, condensed milk, egg yolk, coconut milk, ice, nutmeg and allspice...

I'd like to give that a try! Do you have a recipe for that?