• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rayner Discusses Chang, and other NY Critics

weinoo

Over on Eater today, there's an interview with the estimable Brit crit and former Top Chef: Masters judge, Jay Rayner.

And he takes on David Chang a bit (he evidently was reviewing Ma Peche). To whit:

Oh yeah. The idea that he's the future of upscale dining. Is he? I thought it was very mid-market. You've got to be careful to not review an elephant for being a cow. That's not a criticism of the place, and actually, one of the things I liked about Má Pêche is that it had this buzz, that informality which London is very bad at doing. But I'm slightly confused as to why Manhattanites are so obsessed with David Chang. Maybe it's just pure physical beauty.

Why are we so obsessed?

And are we really more self-important than he?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?