• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant for an "artsy" group luncheon

newsgal

Hey everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to help me out. I'm looking to do a luncheon for artsy and media types (say for 20-25 people) to promote my client (a group of arts venues outside NYC) and am looking for a spot with some kind of arts/performance connection in the space and/or food to tie everything together. Preferably a private room area; the luncheon itself is really casual - more about mingling with my clients... but I'm having trouble coming up with that perfect locale. I can't do top-of-the-line pricing, but middle of the road lunch prices are fine. I'm thinking midtown just for convenience for the invitees (most of their offices are in the midtown area), but I'm definitely open to heading to a different neighborhood.

A lot of these types of receptions are done at the hot, new culinary hotspots; I tend more towards the foodie-pick, more subdued, just really good food with a relevant twist to the products I'm promoting. (For instance - we did an event once at a small bistro where the chef was originally from the area I was promoting... was a HUGE success)

Would love any arts-themed suggestions you might have!

thanks

Assume you have ruled out The Modern as too expensive. The Roger Smith Hotelat Lex and E 48th is a kind of arts-focused hotel with a restaurant, Lily's (which I've never eaten at) that can be rented out for events; they also have a rooftop bar. The hotel is full of art and runs arts events so the venue itself might be fun--worth looking into.

Oh God (in a GOOD way)......the first time I stayed in New York, I stayed at The Roger Smith and LOVED IT ! It was so cool, and so just...unique and with such a good, funky, fun vibe. Lily's, at that point, was only open for breakfast and lunch, but I ate there a couple of times and was impressed. I check into their website periodically, just to wish I were there again, and it looks as though its only gotten funkier and cooler and funner in the intervening years. I think that's a great suggestion.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"