• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for fun place to watch Academy Awards?

Natasha

My husband and I are dropping my daughter and friends at the Troc on Sunday night around 5 and then we have to fill, oh, 5 hours or so. Does anyone know of a fun place to hang out and watch the Academy Awards? Decent food would be a big plus. Thanks.

My suspicion is that--if your hubby can handle it--your best bet might be a gay bar that serves food.

I don't think that any of the establishments in the Gayborhood are planning formal Oscar Night parties, but I can guarantee you that just about all of them that have TVs (and that's just about all of them) will have their sets tuned to the Oscars.

Now as to whether you can dine comfortably: That's another question entirely.

The Westbury Bar probably has the best setup for dining while watching the tube, but their food isn't all that hot.

Bump has the best food and vibe (though your hubby might not go for the big photos of almost-naked guys on the walls), but I'm not certain that they will have their HD set tuned to Channel 6 that night. (It's usually used only to promote events there and at the other clubs owned by Bump's owners, Woody's and Pure.)

Woody's has good food--pub fare--and you will be able to view the Oscars from one of several sets on the downstairs floor. But in all likelihood you will be eating at the bar or at one of two small tables next to the windows in the pub room off the main bar.

I don't think that Tavern on Camac has TVs in its restaurant space. I know the Venture Inn doesn't.

Neither 12th Air Command nor Uncles are serving food on Oscar Night. I don't think that Broaster® Chicken from Key West is what you have in mind at all. And I wouldn't dream of steering a straight couple to the Bike Stop.

Oh, yes, and did I mention that gay bars tend to be noisy? OTOH, that may be exactly what you're looking for.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks for the thorough answer and all the ideas, Sandy. I'm fine with the pictures of naked men, but my husband probably wouldn't like it so much. :)

I guess I was hoping that someplace like Grey Lodge might have a little something going on. I've never been there since I live way out in Downingtown, but I have wanted to try it.

Also, I read somewhere else about a bar in NY or LA that has contests for predicting each category's winner, and other contests throughout the night. I thought that might be a diverting way to wile away the hours.

ETA - Thanks for that idea wkl.

Edited by Natasha (log)

Thanks for the thorough answer and all the ideas, Sandy. I'm fine with the pictures of naked men, but my husband probably wouldn't like it so much.  :)

I guess I was hoping that someplace like Grey Lodge might have a little something going on. I've never been there since I live way out in Downingtown, but I have wanted to try it.

Also, I read somewhere else about a bar in NY or LA that has contests for predicting each category's winner, and other contests throughout the night. I thought that might be a diverting way to wile away the hours.

ETA - Thanks for that idea wkl.

It would be a safe bet that the Grey Lodge would have the Oscars on some of their TVS, especially in the upstairs dining room. Just a hunch, but I'll betcha. Long drive from D-town. Closer to you, I'd bet the Drafting Room in Exton would also, with an excellent beer and food selection as good as the GL's.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

For years, Liberties restaurant at 2nd & Fairmount has hosted an Oscar Night party, replere with red carpet, celeb lookalikes, etc., so you might want to give them a call.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Thanks, Rich. We have to be downtown anyway so that's why The Drafting Room is out. I will call Liberties. It looks like the Colonial in Phoenixville is having a big to-do on Oscar night. Admission is a bottle for the bar, and one should wear costume, black tie or pajamas. Sounds fun!

I was told this evening that Crescent City at 9th & South is having a full blown Oscar party with bartender in drag with costume changes, statues, prizes, etc. I might end up over there myself!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was told this evening that Crescent City at 9th & South is having a full blown Oscar party with bartender in drag with costume changes, statues, prizes, etc.  I might end up over there myself!

Wish I had seen this then. I think I may even know the bartender in question. Lula's friendliest bartender -- who was the place's "rainbow connection" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) in its final days -- landed there and I think works weekends.

Edited to add (I always seem to do this, don't I? Maybe I should get in the habit of hitting "Preview" before "Submit"): To Jennifer Hudson: You go, girl!

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sandy:

I'm sure your assumption about the bartender is correct. My co-worker that told me about it used to work at Lula as well, so I'm sure that's the connection.

Sadly, the nasty weather kept me inside. But I cheered for Jennifer Hudson too! Maybe next year we can plan on attending an Oscar party en masse...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol