• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a recipe for giant gnocchi

zoe b

sorry, my Italian is abysmal--is the singular gnoccho?

anyway, the hub was watching Lidia's Family Table and called me to see this--Lidia made roast turkey with what I think was a a giant gnoccho--I didn't catch what she called it--the hub said it was wrapped in cheesecloth and simmered--it was served sliced--looked like it had golden raisins in it--it would serve the same function as stuffing, I imagine--and it did look good--have spent some time hunting for this, but no luck--any advice?

Zoe

Rotolo di patate.

It's the basic recipe for gnocchi. If you use good floury potatoes you don't even need the egg in it.

Dust with flour a cheesecloth, roll your gnocchi dough in a rectangular shape, add the filling of you choice and roll it up pinching the hedges. Tie with kitchen string, like a salame and boil for about 35-40 minutes.

I let cool a little bit before slicing, pour noisette butter on top, some grana or parmigiano and I like to pass under the grill for a couple minutes.

For filling the most classic one is with spinach, but often make it with zucchine "trifolate" and cheese.

thanks, Scarpetta, for the mini Italian lesson--I really need to take a course --watching Italian cooking shows on Sunday morning can only take you so far!

And Franci, I'm salivating at your description of the rotolo--I'm doing a cooking get together with a friend Saturday--maybe she'll want to make this with me.

• 2 weeks later...