• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Host's Request for Coordinates

John Talbott

Most of us who know Paris's new and old restaurants assume everyone else knows where they are too, but several recent experiences have led me to recommend that unless restaurants are in the guidebooks, popular websites such as RestoaParis or the Digest we should try to give full name, address, arrondissement and telephone number. Thanks

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John - I'm not a Paris expert as I don't live there, but my suggestion as to how to help everyone find restaurants would be to add a link to the Pages Jaunes entry for that restaurant when posting.

Not too hard to do & the link would give address, phone number and access to a map.

Worth a try, I think.

Great ideas, John and Dave. When I am posting about a restaurant, it usually takes me 1 minute to find the card or billhead and include coordinates and closure times, but sometimes several google attempts to find this information when it has not been included in a restaurant's initial review.

As to "guide books"? Who uses guide books anymore when we have you guys! :wub:

(FWIW, in France, I always take two cards at restarants, shops, galleries, etc. one of which I drop in an alphabetized file next to my computer. Makes life infinitely easier than searching through notes.)

eGullet member #80.

John, I think of coordinates as map coordinates by latitude and longitude . I assume you mean something else. You certainly weren't thinking we would import coordinates into our portable GPS devices and use that to navigate Paris. Or were you?

John, I think of coordinates as map coordinates by latitude and longitude . I assume you mean something else. You certainly weren't thinking we would import coordinates into our portable GPS devices and use that to navigate Paris. Or were you?

'Coordinates' = the French expression for address/telephone info.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

That's right; coordinates mean the address & phone number plus, usually, some directions.

I have now tested my earlier suggestion about using the French yellow pages. Its a bit more complicated than I thought, but is easily doable. If you only want to find a particular restaurant for your own use its very easy. The complication comes when you would like to post the link onto the forum. Here's what to do:

1) Go to: pagesJaunes. I've linked you to the English version.

2) Type in Restaurant as the Business type; then type in the name of the restaurant, then the city.

3) Hit search and you should get the Yellow pages entry for your restaurant.

4) At the bottom of the entry is a link for Map. Click this & a local street map will come up. You can zoom in & out of this to help you find the exact location.

5) If you are doing this just for yourself that's it. If you want to post the map on e gullet you have to do the following:

a) Right click on the map.

b) click on send link

c) an e-mail form will come up with the map address in the body (it will be

really, really long, but don't worry.

d) go to FILE - Select all. Then having selected all of the address go to FILE- COPY.

e) You can now close the map & pages Jaunes, go to eGullet write your post and

include the link to the map by pasting it into the http:// code button.

As I said, a bit long winded, but not difficult. Here's an example:

Tour d'Argent

will take you to a street map with phone number and address for that restaurant.

Note that you retain the address & phone number as well as links to an aerial view, A photograph and route planner.

Happy dining!