• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laguardia Restaurants

RichardA

Hello all:

This is my first post here. I am currently planning a two week vacation in Spain at the start of October. My trip will range from Madrid north to San Sebastian and down to Barcelona.

Currently, I am seeking recommendations for restaurants for dinner in or close to Laguardia as I will be spending a couple nights there. I already have tenative plans for lunches at Casa Ojeda and Los Calaos. I am seeking excellent food, and price is not a concern. But, the restaurant certainly does not have to be a fine dining place as long as the food is good. A quaint family run place will suit me as well.

Thanks,

Richard

I've not only eat but stay at Solar de Samaniego, very good place, very good food, chef and owner had his apprentiship chez Martin Berasategui. The place is beautiful, close to Remirez de Ganuza vineyard.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have an URL for the Solar? I did not find one when googling. Is it a winery as well?

We already have plans to stay at the Sercotel Villa de Laguardia.

can't find it either. the web page used to be www.solardesamaniego.es but the page is not loading. Off course you have Las Duelas in Haro, Juan Nales is a very good chef, he had his own restaurant, now he is the chef at Los Agustinos hotel. Haro is a good place to stay too, close to eveything and a city with more structure, like pharmacy etc. I once tried to buy some things after 8 pm and travelled to 3 cities, Laguardia, Oyon and Samaniego itself and couldn't find any shop or drugstore opened.

Sorry, made an awful confusion with the names, the hotel is Palacio de Samaniego, here is the link:

http://www.palaciosamaniego.com/

The very nice couple that runs the place are Ana Maria and her husband, the chef, whose name I can't remember. It's a small hotel, they serve the tables themselves, have a good breakfast, the rooms are confortable and the place is magic, Samaniego is a village, with Remirez de Ganuza owing half of it, with his winery and vineyards surrounding the hamlet.

They are in middle way between Contino, Remelluri, and all wineries in Haro (must visits are CVNE, Lopez de Heredia, Muga, La Rioja Alta etc etc). Rioja is a wine lover's paradise.