• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Jersey Cheesesteaks

tommy

i was sitting around yesterday, and "the best of" on TVFN was featuring a bit on cheesesteaks in philly. that really got me going. then about an hour later, VH1 had some sort of show that featured the same 2 places in philly. i realized that this was a sign from above: i need to know the best place for a cheesesteak in NJ (i specified northern jersey here only because it's unlikely i'll get to any other part of the state for a cheesesteak).

any thoughts? any places with *real* sliced ribeye?

Tommy - if you are looking for a truly terrific cheesesteak you must visit Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley. Outstanding sandwiches made with grade A steak done just right in several varieties - no processed cheese here. My top choice is the Italian Steak Sandwich - it is topped with mozzarella and onions on a garlic soaked roll - to die for. Don't pass up the french onion soup to start here either - one of the very best I have ever had. Great selection of beers as well. Of course being from Jersey I cant let a topic of cheesesteaks go by without at least mentioning the Seaside Boardwalk but I will leave this to a North Jersey thread per your request. Enjoy.

:cool:

A.D.S.

Piccolo's (in Hoboken) may have the *perfect* Cheesesteak. You can check out my review at:

CooksQuest

Or just read below:

The perfect cheesesteak can be found at Piccolo's.

Philly's got nothin' on these beauties. Yeah... it's real steak -- rib eye -- well cut, cooked over a slotted grill until the meat barely chars on the outside and retains its enticing color inside.

The half-baguette (both crispy and chewy) was baked only several hours earlier and imported from a 24-hour coal-oven bakery just a few blocks away. It is the perfect vessel for the rib-eye. The baguette has crispy brown lines and the fortitude to house the drippings as the steak rests (though it's hard to keep it resting for too long). Sesame seeds on the bottom of the baguette offer a subtle accent.

Just before baguette meets rib-eye, the cheese is placed deftly on the steak to melt. Ah..., the cheese. Diana likes a lot of cheese on her cheesesteaks and these don't disappoint. The cheese is velvety smooth and has just the right flavor to compliment the steak.

Then there are the onions. Sautéed, not grilled, to keep them hot and soft, but barely carmelized. The onions provide a wonderful texture to contrast with the melted cheese.

Each component battles for the starring role. What a simple, simple, but ever so perfect, combination.

Not a cheesesteak but at my place at the bar I'll serve a sliced strip steak over a garlic toated semilina bread topped with carmelized onions, potatoes & hot cherry peppers. It's one of those items that was on my menu at lunch when I first opened up 8 years ago but everyone asks for a the bar.

Tommy, take a ride west sometime aand I'll join you for a couple of sandwiches and some Magic Hat #9 on tap. Unless you prefer some Ravenswood with your steak.

Lou

Just drive to Philly, you lazy bum.

thanks for the help, fatguy.

cooksquest, i've been to piccolo's, and you're right, it's spot on. it's just a hassle to get into hoboken from anywhere else but, well, hoboken. and even then it's a pain! good stuff though, that's for sure.

lou, damn you and your place being so far from home. i would have been there long ago if it were closer. but, i'll consider it. i'll leave at breakfast to make it in time for lunch. do you serve magic hat #9 at 11.50 am? :biggrin:

Tommy,

I know you said North Jersey but I posted about a cheesesteak review a few months ago. A reporter from the courier news tried different cheesesteak places from mainly around central NJ over a course of 2 months. He then crowned a winner. He's from Philly, states he's been eating cheesesteaks since 1971 and kept stating how nothing compared to the Philly cheesesteaks. He doesnt have good things to say about Pats and Ginos as well. Its an interesting read and he did a special about his favorites in Philly as well.

http://www.c-n.com/c-n/cheesesteak/

His Philly favorites: http://www.c-n.com/news/c-n/story/0,2111,5...,549327,00.html

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt one of the very best around. This place is very popular among the locals and impossible to get a seat in on weekends and in my opinion with very good reason. Steaks and sandwiches are top notch as is the fried calamari and french onion soup.

A.D.S.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a cheesesteak but at my place at the bar I'll serve a sliced strip steak over a garlic toated semilina bread topped with carmelized onions, potatoes & hot cherry peppers. It's one of those items that was on my menu at lunch when I first opened up 8 years ago but everyone asks for a the bar.

Tommy, take a ride west sometime aand I'll join you for a couple of sandwiches and some Magic Hat #9 on tap. Unless you prefer some Ravenswood with your steak.

Lou

I'll admit it right here....right now...I get hungry when I read this string of posts. LReda has offered a few times to host a "steak sandwich" lunch at his restaurant American Grill. Me and my honey intend to take him up on the offer and are looking to do it on Monday December 2nd. A number of folks have seemed interested in the past. Would anyone care to join us?

• 6 months later...

different than piccolo's.

i don't necessarily appreciate the style of piccolo's sandwich. first of all, they put a whole steak on the sandwich, which makes it hard to chew. second of all, they use (very good) italian bread, which, again, makes it hard to chew.

I'd vote for Finks as well, but the only catch is, that Finks cheesesteak actually tastes BETTER without the cheese!! Great sliced steak, and smoked as well for an unusually great taste! (Try it rare)