• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mardi Gras 2007 in New Orleans

ludja

It's about a month before Mardi Gras but I wondered if any locals or recent travelers had anything to share from the current food scene in New Orleans?

Are there a bunch of restaurants that recently reopened or that are planning a reopening by then?

Any comments on how people think this Mardi Gras will compare with last years?

Looks like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and family may be among the celebrants... click

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It's about a month before Mardi Gras but I wondered if any locals or recent travelers had anything to share from the current food scene in New Orleans? 

Are there a bunch of restaurants that recently reopened or that are planning a reopening by then?

Any comments on how people think this Mardi Gras will compare with last years?

Looks like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and family may be among the celebrants... click

New Orleans has, sort of, reached a status quo as far as restaurant openings go. To a degree, I think that we're done. People who can do it on their own, have a viable place to work, and wanted to do it have opened up and gotten on with it.

I've recently had really good meals at Rio Mar, Cochon (hands down my favorite new place-it's what it is, and probably not for everybody, but it's perfect for me and I love the place), The Longbranch, Restaurant August, Parkway Tavern, Casamento's, Johnny's Po Boys, Parasol, Slice (if you want pie, this is the place to get it-best pizza in town), Five Roses, Pho Bang, and a bunch of new latin places that have opened up-primarily in Kenner and on the Best Bank.

This Mardi Gras will be a local affair again (I think-I don't really know-but I know that I have alot of friends in the hotel biz and they aren't looking to be overwhelmed). And, frankly, that's ok with me. Last year's carnival was one of the better ones that I have ever had and I'm looking forward to a similar one. I'll be, particularly, looking forward to the Krewe de Vieux the night before our valiant men of the hour, The New Orleans Saints, beat the crap out of the Colts and our here-to-fore beloved Peyton Manning. That will be the longest 36 hours of many people's lives, and potentially the best.

As for our newest residents, there's something that alot of people don't understand. This is, was, and apparently will be, a relatively small city. We have had, for a very, very long time, a large number of "celebrities" living in our midst. My own neighborhood, in fact, is lousy with rock stars, writers, sports guys, actors and actresses, and me. I ran into Angelina Jolie in Parasol. She was just another good looking woman sitting at the bar eating a poboy with a kid in a stroller next to her. A regular "Joe" so to speak. I know lots of people that have run into them lately, as he's shooting a big deal movie here and they've been scouting aroung for real estate. By all accounts, they're pretty nice folks. What really counts is that they are not just moving here, but that they are getting involved in some rebuilding and recovery stuff-that's what's important.

Celebrities have always liked it here because New Orleanians just don't care who they are. We are nice to everyone and we're just as nice to them. I could tell you how many odd celebrities have shown up at various boils, frys, and such at my house, but it would sound like I was just making it up. We're nice.

So, I guess this probably isn't as detailed as you would have hoped, but I'll be working on it and trying to keep up with the photos over the next month or so. Even in the complete anarchy that seems to be slowly taking over this city, the Saints clobbering the Colts in the Super Bowl and Carnival Season are something that we all look forward to. And we will be.

Go Saints! Kill the Bears!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

New Orleans has, sort of, reached a status quo as far as restaurant openings go. To a degree, I think that we're done. People who can do it on their own, have a viable place to work, and wanted to do it have opened up and gotten on with it.

I'd agree with that. There are a few places on the verge of reopening. Mandina's is said to be close. I've heard second-hand reports that Gautreau's should open soon, although I don't know who will be in the kitchen. Dooky Chase and Willie Mae's are also supposed to open in the near future. If a place hasn't opened by now, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. There are always surprises, though.

I still think the biggest surprise is how many restaurant are still open. Between the storm, the labor shortage and the lack of tourists, it's been a brutal period.

A couple of flashy new places are in the works from both John Besh and Scott Boswell. Some kind of high-end dessert bar, called Sucre, will open soon on Magazine Street.

I've recently had really good meals at Rio Mar, Cochon (hands down my favorite new place-it's what it is, and probably not for everybody, but it's perfect for me and I love the place), The Longbranch, Restaurant August, Parkway Tavern, Casamento's, Johnny's Po Boys, Parasol, Slice (if you want pie, this is the place to get it-best pizza in town), Five Roses, Pho Bang, and a bunch of new latin places that have opened up-primarily in Kenner and on the Best Bank.

Don't forgot La Boca, an Argentine steakhouse from the chef at Rio Mar. And what are all these Latin places on the West Bank and Kenner?

I had lunch today a great little place called Tacos San Miguel way over on Claiborne by the Industrial Canal. Good, cheap Mexican food has certainly arrived in New Orleans.

This Mardi Gras will be a local affair again (I think-I don't really know-but I know that I have alot of friends in the hotel biz and they aren't looking to be overwhelmed). And, frankly, that's ok with me. Last year's carnival was one of the better ones that I have ever had and I'm looking forward to a similar one.

Judging by the easy availability of plane tickets for Mardi Gras, I'd also guess that it will be dominated by the locals.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Heck, I'll be there for the week after Mardi Gras. It'll probably be pretty much empty at that time, and it seems I can get a table at any restaurant at any time I want during the entire week. But then, we'll spend as much as we can! We're all still pulling for every one of you. And hell, I'll even root for the Saints tomorrow (which is very easy seeing they're playing the scumbag Bears).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites