• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FL Lemon Tart "Spin-off"

JacobCooks

Hey everyone, on New Year's Eve I contributed the Lemon Sabayon Pine Nut from the French Laundry Cookbook to my family's annual get-together. I usually bring a dessert or two (or three, hahaha) to these get-togethers, and lately, I've been nailing them. My uncle asked if I could make him a tart for his birthday, and I said sure.

I want to experiment with creating a sort of "spin-off" of the FL tart, but pineapple flavored. I have a juicer, so I could juice the pineapple myself, and use it in place of the lemon juice. I was thinking of serving a rum whipped cream or ice cream on the side, since the two flavors pair well. Also, I don't know if I should use the same crust on this tart.

There's about a month from know to his birthday, so I have a while to play around with the idea.

Any suggestions on ratios, the crust, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, on New Year's Eve I contributed the Lemon Sabayon Pine Nut from the French Laundry Cookbook to my family's annual get-together. I usually bring a dessert or two (or three, hahaha) to these get-togethers, and lately, I've been nailing them. My uncle asked if I could make him a tart for his birthday, and I said sure. 

I want to experiment with creating a sort of "spin-off" of the FL tart, but pineapple flavored. I have a juicer, so I could juice the pineapple myself, and use it in place of the lemon juice. I was thinking of serving a rum whipped cream or ice cream on the side, since the two flavors pair well. Also, I don't know if I should use the same crust on this tart.

There's about a month from know to his birthday, so I have a while to play around with the idea.

Any suggestions on ratios, the crust, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

My parents were at Bouchon yesterday and were nice enough to bring me a slice of the lemon tart.

I would suggest a nut other than pine nut for the crust - I think I read in the Bouchon cookbook thread that someone has tried macadamia nuts before - maybe it was Ling? Not sure. That might be a good combination with the pineapple.

I haven't made this and I'm not sure about your experience level. So I mean you may already know that pineapple is weird, it doesn't act like apples or lemons. It has moisture issues, can remain watery when there's no real good reason for it except it's pineapple y'know. So all that to say excellent idea to test your stuff in advance. Use some saigon cinnamon and banana in there, maybe an accent flavor. mmmmmm

I would suggest a nut other than pine nut for the crust - I think I read in the Bouchon cookbook thread that someone has tried macadamia nuts before - maybe it was Ling? Not sure. That might be a good combination with the pineapple.

Yes, that was me. I love the macadamia nut crust!