• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: BBQ Pork Stir-Fried w/ Rice Pasta

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

BBQ Pork Stir-Fried with Rice Pasta (Lai Fun) (三絲炒瀨粉)

There are many varieties of rice noodles in Cantonese cooking. Though they are made from the same ingredients through the same process, the rice noodles are named differently depending on their shapes - much like how the Italians name their pasta. This recipe features a rice noodle called "Lai Fun" (瀨粉) in Cantonese. Some calls it Rice Pasta. It is round and a little bit thicker than spaghetti. I used BBQ pork in this recipe. You may well use roast ducks, shredded chicken or other types of meat.

It is also common to cook this dish with yellow chive and onion slices. The recipe is very similar to the flat rice noodles ("Ho Fun") stir-fried with beef slices.

gallery_19795_4045_43946.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 1 - 2

Preparations:

gallery_19795_4045_12701.jpg

Main ingredients (bottom right, clockwise):

- 1 lb of "lai fun" (rice pasta)

- 3 stalks of green onion

- BBQ Pork, about 4 to 6 oz

- 4 oz of bean sprouts

Cooking:

- 5 tsp of light soy sauce

- 5 tsp of dark soy sauce

- 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine

gallery_19795_4045_26063.jpg

This is the main feature: Rice pasta (Lai Fun). There is one pound of rice pasta in this package.

gallery_19795_4045_19274.jpg

This is what the rice pasta looks like. They are freshly made, ready for cooking.

gallery_19795_4045_13806.jpg

Cut the BBQ pork into thin shreds.

gallery_19795_4045_3170.jpg

Chop the green onions into thin shreds. Mix 5 tsp of light soy sauce and 5 tsp of dark soy sauce in a small bowl.

gallery_19795_4045_13426.jpg

Use your fingers to fluff up the rice pasta so that they don't stick together. If they do, run them under warm water and separate them. Drain well before cooking.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_4045_12546.jpg

Use a wok/pan, set stove to high. Add 2 tblsp of cooking oil. Add the BBQ pork shreds and brown them slightly. Remove.

gallery_19795_4045_4697.jpg

Clean the wok. Keep stove setting at high. Heat the wok until as hot as it gets.

Here is the important part:

Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until the oil starts smoking.

gallery_19795_4045_22995.jpg

Very quickly: Add the shredded green onions, 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine (Note: this may induce a flame), and the mixture of light and dark soy sauces. The soy sauces would start boiling immediately from the heat.

gallery_19795_4045_4299.jpg

Immediately add the rice pasta.

gallery_19795_4045_18355.jpg

And add the bean sprouts.

gallery_19795_4045_57138.jpg

Toss and stir-fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the dark color from the soy sauces spread evenly.

gallery_19795_4045_35403.jpg

Return the BBQ pork shreds. Stir-fry for another minute or so. Finished. Transfer to a serving plate.

gallery_19795_4045_43946.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The dish looks good.

I noticed a change from your pan to a wok. Did you find a satisfactory burner? I was very interested in your wok and burner project since I also have the problem of not powerful enough Gas stove.

Soup

I noticed a change from your pan to a wok.  Did you find a satisfactory burner?  I was very interested in your wok and burner project since I also have the problem of not powerful enough Gas stove.

Ha! You remember! :raz:

No I haven't gotten my burner yet. The main issue is with the kitchen exhaust fan. I live in a 60-year old house that has only the conventional (wimpy) kitchen fan unsuited for Chinese cooking. If I have a high-power burner it will make the oil fume problem worse.

I cook with a wok on certain dishes over the regular gas stove. I need the wok's big, curve surface. It works okay.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Hi Ah Leung:

I have been trying to improve my diet, thinking more vegetables and fish ... so as soon as I saw this, I started thinking, instead of pork, "broccoli + peppers", "cauliflower + tomatoes", almost modeling the Italian vegetable sauces to this Chinese rice pasta...

Are there any recipes from the Chinese vegetarian tradition that might go well in this way?

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK