• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Good liquor stores (US)

Bricktop

I was inspired to start this thread by the NY stores thread. Since I have been bitten by the cocktail bug, I have been on the lookout for places that sell more than just the common or garden variety of beverages that other like-minded folk might be looking for. Hopefully this will be useful to the community, especially if you add your favorites to it.

Here are a few I have stumbled across recently. I will come back and edit the info on why I liked them when I get a bit more time.

MA: Julio's Liquors, Westborough Fee's Bitters, lots of single malts, Velvet Falernum, Forest Floor Bitters

MD: The Wine Source, Baltimore Luxardo Maraschino, Fee's bitters, Peychauds Bitters

MD: State Line Liquors, Elkton Sazerac 18YO, Peychauds Bitters

NJ: Shoppers Vineyard, Clifton Luxardo Maraschino, single malts, Rittenhouse rye

Spec's in Houston.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/people

The Warehouse Store is the crown jewel of our operation. With over 40,000 labels of wines, spirits, liqueurs, beers, and finer foods, Spec's indeed fills all 80,000 square feet of selling space. Our walk-in cigar humidor offers over 900 cigars - more than many tobacconist stores. Our deli offers the finest in deli meats, pates, domestic and imported cheeses, fresh caviar, and a complete assortment of domestic and imported smoked fish and salmon. Our full line of jams and jellies, pastas and sauces, oils and vinegars, crackers and cookies make our selection limited only by your imagination.

Spec's in Houston.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/people

The Warehouse Store is the crown jewel of our operation. With over 40,000 labels of wines, spirits, liqueurs, beers, and finer foods, Spec's indeed fills all 80,000 square feet of selling space. Our walk-in cigar humidor offers over 900 cigars - more than many tobacconist stores. Our deli offers the finest in deli meats, pates, domestic and imported cheeses, fresh caviar, and a complete assortment of domestic and imported smoked fish and salmon. Our full line of jams and jellies, pastas and sauces, oils and vinegars, crackers and cookies make our selection limited only by your imagination.

Hear, hear

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

RI: Gasbarro's on Atwells Ave in Providence; Town Wine & Spirits on Newport Ave in East Providence; Joyal's Liquors on 117 in West Warwick. Click for a bit more information.

I was pretty astonished when I visited Gasbarro's a year or two ago. Amazing selection of limoncello, amaro, and grappa. I keep hoping I will find some store in one of SF's Italian neighborhoods with a similar selection. No joy, so far.

Pretty good for microbrew and other liqueurs, as well.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

CA: PlumpJack Wines, two locations, San Francisco. Small stores; but, they pack lots of good stuff in. Great selection of wines, liqueurs, scotch, american whiskies, bitters, aperitifs, Belgian Beers, and obscure local micro-brews. Tend to stock mostly high end spirits. Will special order gladly.

CA: John Walker & Co, 175 Sutter Street, downtown, San Francisco. Great selection of spirits, wines, and obscure liqueurs. Almost no beer. Also carry most cocktail bitters and some pretty obscure secondary cocktail ingredients (Elderflower Syrup, etc). Prices sometimes quite a bit higher than SF average.

CA: Beverages and More, many locations. Surprisingly good liquor and liqueur selection for warehouse type liquor stores. Decent beer and wine selection, as well. Overall fair prices and often significant savings on featured sale items.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA