• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When not drinking Beaujolais . . .

Florida Jim

2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:

Garganega from a hillside vineyard in Soave at 13% alcohol; honeyed pear on the nose with mineral and rushing water accents; tangy on the palate with bright flavors that echo the nose, ripe almost fat, complex, juicy and perfect balance; medium finish that is crisp and crystal clear. If I could find 375’s of this, I’d buy them all, because if we open a 750, I won’t stop ‘til it’s empty. Soulful, life-affirming wine imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $16; I bought a lot.

2004 Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling:

A pungent pineapple, lime skin and mineral nose leads to a tangy, strongly flavored palate with viscosity, concentration, some cooked flavors and good balance; short finish; 12% alcohol. With food the tang moderates and the finish lengthens. I like this but in small doses; it will never replace Trimbach’s entry level riesling. Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $17; no more for me, thanks.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:

A blast of dark chocolate when first opened morphs to earth, asphalt, dark cherries and a hint of truffle, a pretty arresting nose; silky on the palate with flavors and complexity that follow and expand upon the nose, good grip, bright acidity and moderate concentration, all in an integrated yet delineated delivery; long finish. I have tasted a whole lot of Barbaresco that can’t touch this. Imported by Locascio and about $20 on release; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com