• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Mason's Tailor

bunny

There's already a really long thread about how shitty Bruni is.

But people who engage in boosterism have got to understand that there are some people it's always gonna turn off. It's just one of the risks of engaging in boosterism. It can backfire.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Keep Bruni away from the place as long as possible.

The best thing that could happen is they price it low enough that Meehan reviews it, rather than Bruni.

I don't think it's possible for a place getting this much hype and buzz to fly under the Bruni review. Just hearing some of the ingredients involved in the tastings ensures the pricepoint will meet the requirements for a regular review and the blanket of coverage almost invites it.

Not to say they're flaunting for stars or anything but I feel they'd be affronted if Bruni passed.

Speaking of buzz, am I the only one who finds it ironic that there are already three pages about an establishment that has not opened yet? Is this the equivalent of the Hot Stove League in baseball?

Michael aka "Pan"

Keep Bruni away from the place as long as possible.

The best thing that could happen is they price it low enough that Meehan reviews it, rather than Bruni.

I don't think it's possible for a place getting this much hype and buzz to fly under the Bruni review.
I was joking. I agree, from the descriptions, it sounds like it's in Bruni's territory. If it were a dessert-only place, that would be a different story, but it sounds like Tailor is going to have a full menu.

But this isn't the kind of place Bruni has warmed up to.

Not to say they're flaunting for stars or anything but I feel they'd be affronted if Bruni passed.

To the contrary, stars are exactly what they're flaunting for. Among other things.

But people who engage in boosterism have got to understand that there are some people it's always gonna turn off.  It's just one of the risks of engaging in boosterism.  It can backfire.

Who's boosting?

2317/5000

This is one restaurant opening that I am anxiously awaiting. I have confidence that Sam and his crew will pull off a full menu that is fun, interesting and delicious. I still feel that along with many others, that what created problems for Varietal was that it was not a unified restaurant. It tried to have something for everybody, but rather than pleasing everybody the perceived discordance created confusion and some level of dissatisfaction for most. Some liked the desserts and not the savories and others the opposite. If people are not crazy about part of a meal it will effect their perception of the whole meal. I do not see that happening at Tailor as I think the vision is pretty unified based upon what I know of the players and what I have read.

The place hasn't opened yet. Whatever our levels of expectation though, we should wait until it does and try it before pre-judging it a success or a failure. That being said, I agree that Bruni's track record makes it unlikely that he will be very favorable towards the restaurant, but with this restaurant, I am not sure that it will even matter. I think that because of the people involved and the location that it might be able to withstand a Bruni pan so long as it satisfies its core constituency. OTOH, a rave from Bruni could send it over the top.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This is one restaurant opening that I am anxiously awaiting. I have confidence that Sam and his crew will pull off a full menu that is fun, interesting and delicious. I still feel that along with many others, that what created problems for Varietal was that it was not a unified restaurant. It tried to have something for everybody, but rather than pleasing everybody the perceived discordance created confusion and some level of dissatisfaction for most. Some liked the desserts and not the savories and others the opposite. If people are not crazy about part of a meal it will effect their perception of the whole meal. I do not see that happening at Tailor as I think the vision is pretty unified based upon what I know of the players and what I have read.

The place hasn't opened yet. Whatever our levels of expectation though, we should wait until it does and try it before pre-judging it a success or a failure. That being said, I agree that Bruni's track record makes it unlikely that he will be very favorable towards the restaurant, but with this restaurant, I am not sure that it will even matter. I think that because of the people involved and the location that it might be able to withstand a Bruni pan so long as it satisfies its core constituency. OTOH, a rave from Bruni could send it over the top.

I think you nailed it.

I'm just asking a question here, so please let's not go crazy.

It appears the general consensus on this thread is that this place will be critic proof (especially NY Times critic proof). How does an un-opened restaurant gain the status of being critic-proof?

And if it is, why doesn't every restauranteur follow the same formula?

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

For one thing, because part of what may render this place critic-proof is its relative uniqueness,* based both on what they're offering and the following its principal already has. If ten places like this opened up, they might not all be critic-proof.

* I know: there's no such thing as "relative uniqueness".

a sufficiently large cult-following can make something critic-proof.

Ssam Bar is the perfect example...it was already packed and critic proof...the fact that Bruni loved it just added to that. (and Platt piled on to the bandwagon this week...)

a sufficiently large cult-following can make something critic-proof.

I understand that, but how does a place that's un-opened, with a chef who has never had his own place (I believe he was the pastry chef at WD-50), develop a cult-following before it opens? And even if he developed a following for his desserts, would that translate into sufficient numbers to become critic proof? Especially for a full-menu resto (unlike R4D).

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

One of the reasons why I don't think that this restaurant is a stretch is that Sam has a lot of experience with savories and has blurred the distinctions between savory and dessert for some time and does so as well as anyone. What I stated above though is that it will be Bruni-proof so long as it satisfies its core constituency. Its location is ideal for that. The rest has to come from Sam and his crew. Frankly, I would be very surprised if they aren't able to satisfy their core even if it is difficult to extend beyond it at this point in time. I'm looking forward to it.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

One of the reasons why I don't think that this restaurant is a stretch is that Sam has a lot of experience with savories and has blurred the distinctions between savory and dessert for some time and does so as well as anyone. What I stated above though is that it will be Bruni-proof so long as it satisfies its core constituency.

I think most restaurants are Bruni-proof. Generally, the restaurants that have closed after his reviews were already in trouble anyway.

One of the reasons why I don't think that this restaurant is a stretch is that Sam has a lot of experience with savories and has blurred the distinctions between savory and dessert for some time and does so as well as anyone. What I stated above though is that it will be Bruni-proof so long as it satisfies its core constituency.

I think most restaurants are Bruni-proof. Generally, the restaurants that have closed after his reviews were already in trouble anyway.

I can't agree with the statement that "most" restaurants are Bruni proof. In fact I think its just the opposite. It takes a very special restaurant with a devote following to withstand a very bad NYT review. And even in those cases when the interest wanes the restaurant usually fails due to lack of "regular" customers.

I can't agree with the statement that "most" restaurants are Bruni proof. In fact I think its just the opposite. It takes a very special restaurant with a devote following to withstand a very bad NYT review. And even in those cases when the interest wanes the restaurant usually fails due to lack of "regular" customers.

So, what are your examples? I can name quite a few restaurants that are still running strong (or at least running) long after unfavorable Bruni reviews. I can also name some that aren't, but you can usually give ample reasons for the failure having nothing to do with Bruni.

Let's take the most recent example, Varietal, which actually is relevant to this thread, given the similarity between Jordan Kahn and Sam Mason. Bruni was merely the last in line of numerous critics who were underwhelmed. My dinner there at prime time on a Saturday evening, weeks before the Bruni review, found it about half full. Obviously the Bruni review didn't help. But clearly they were already in trouble before Bruni took up his pen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just caught this article on the beverage program at Tailor with recipes from the April 2007 issue of Food Arts.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Getting closer.

From Grub Street:

“We’re almost there. Some blogger had a report about us not having our liquor license yet, just to take a slap at me. Everyone knows your license is pending until you get your Certificate of Occupancy. It’s a 100 percent done deal; we just need to show the city how many we can seat so the occupancy limit can be posted.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad something is happening soon. For some time it got pretty quiet, but now it looks like things will move fast. I'm really looking forward to reading the menu at their website.

Does anyone have any inside info on this opening? Can it possibly be THAT quiet with NYMag covering Sam's every move?

Says eater.com:

Officially: "We're still looking toward this summer."

Unofficially: "If you guys are still on the Tailor beat: Just spoke to a friend who is involved in the build-out. Says it won't be open until September."

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Damn. That's a long delay from originally saying February to possibly September. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait though. I also do find it weird at the lack of information there is about the opening.

On the latest installment of "The Launch", which I don't know if anyone else noticed, but they used to update those every Thursday and now it is about a new one every 3 weeks or so, Sam Mason said they did a bunch of interviews and press for all the magazines july/september issues, so maybe in the next month there will be some press coming out.