• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Predictions for 2007 - Fads to come or fade away?

bigkoiguy

Okay, now that we're nearing the New Year, it's time for the obligatory predictions and reflections on the past year.

Some of my own predictions:

- Spinach will make a comeback :-]

- Indian food will go mainstream, finally fleeing its urban confines and appearing in both the suburbs and the supermarket

- Chipotle? Gone from most menus. Probably wasabi too (except sushi).

- Prickley pear will be a new, ubiquitous fad ingredient.

- Old Classics and Fads from the 50's and 60's (Beef Burgundy, Lobster Newberg, etc) will appear on menus, possibly with modern twists

So what are your thoughts? Get your crystal balls out.

See how well the predictions fared for food in 2006 ...

article here ...

International restaurant consultants Joseph Baum & Michael Whiteman Co. have forecast major new dining trends that will impact how Americans eat in the year ahead.  Chocolate gets mass-market snob appeal; snacks muscle in on upscale restaurant menus; vinaigrettes are the new dressings; watermelon is the new tomato, fat is back, and others.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

more predictions from the Perishable Pundit:

TRAVELING CUISINE

PERSONALIZED DRINKS

ALCOHOL ALTERNATIVE

WAR OF THE ROSES

TOAST!

VIRTUAL FOODS

CANDY IS DANDY

OPEN KITCHEN, LIVING LAB

PLEASE (DON'T) PASS ON THE CARBS

SPA MEETS RESTAURANT

read the article on these .. me? I am very concerned about global warming on foods in the future! :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I see a rise in smoking/charcuteriebeing offered in more restaurants. It'll take years to filter down to TGI Friday's so this may be overlooked by the local news media.

Edible flowers: rose water gelee, deep-fried chrysanthemums--like that.

What's gonna be big this year? What was Keller doing last year, and El Bulli the year before that?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!