• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mozza (L.A) is open

eatrustic

I was suprised to read elsewhere (Chow via New York Mag) that Mozza (the Pizza part) has been open for almost a week. Sounds like lots of Otto has been grafted onto the menu (Lardo pizza etc.) and the pizza crust is great, more like Napoletana style?

Has anyone been in yet?

I plan to be in town for early December so look forward to fighting my way in for a slice!

I was suprised to read elsewhere (Chow via New York Mag) that Mozza (the Pizza part) has been open for almost a week. Sounds like lots of Otto has been grafted onto the menu (Lardo pizza etc.) and the pizza crust is great, more like Napoletana style?

Has anyone been in yet?

I plan to be in town for early December so look forward to fighting my way in for a slice!

eatrustic ... WAIT ONE MOMENT, PLEASE!!

I've been keeping close track on the opening situation. Unfortunately, I was out of town for a few days and just got back this afternoon. I'll find out tomorrow.

The place looks nice. The entrance is on Highland (north-south) with a huge window to look in. I was told that they're doing a few test runs, private parties, etc. and may not be open to the public ... yet ... Mind you, once Mozza Pizzeria is open to the public, it won't be a soft opening.

UPDATE: I decided to check out the place tonight. As of Oct. 31, 2006, Mozza Pizzeria is NOT open!! I went by the place and there's a sign by the door which says:

COMING SOON!

At this point, the only reliable written source of when Mozza will open is the Los Angeles Times Food Section, and, of course, eGullet Society California forum. :biggrin:

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

eatrustic ... WAIT ONE MOMENT, PLEASE!!

COMING SOON!

At this point, the only reliable written source of when Mozza will open is the Los Angeles Times Food Section, and, of course, eGullet Society California forum.  :biggrin:

Ha! How could I have doubted that the EG gang wasn't on the job. Thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

Shhh .... one last post from me before Pizzeria Mozza actually opens for the public ...

Pizzeria Mozza

Check out their menu. They're serving more than just pizza. Antipasti, Bruschette, Insalate, Carne, Panini, and Piatti del Giorno. And of course,

"Save some room for DESSERT"

Even though Mario Batali's name is included in this venture, it's really Nancy Silverton's restaurant. Osteria Mozza will open soon. Los Angeles bureaucracy is winning right now.

I hope to post some photos once the place finally opens.

NB The link below is the original discussion thread, "Nancy Silverton & Mario Batali." http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=60469

Ladies and gentlemen,

Pizzeria Mozza is now officially open to the public!

It actually opened on Tuesday 14 Nov. 2006. I tried to do a walk-in that Tues. evening. No. Can. Do. I was told that Pizzeria Mozza had 400 reservations that first day. Mind you, we're talking a small place, about 100 seats or less, including the bar (12 seats), the pizza bar (12 seats), about twelve tables (4-top), and about 5-6 tables (2-tops).

So I tried on a Thursday night. However, I called beforehand and asked if they are accepting walk-ins that night. Yes they were but no guarantees. When I got there, I put my name on a waiting list for the bar area. Hour and a half wait. Okay, no problem. I took a walk to kill some time. I got back and I was next on the list. Maybe 15-20 minutes more. A party leaves the bar area. Yes, this is it. I ordered a pizza, Prosciutto di Parma, rucola & mozzarella and an order of fried squash blossoms with ricotta. The blossoms tasted good. And the pizza? Really good. Definitely better than your pizza chain brands. The crust is slightly chewy. The ingredients are fresh, obviously.

And I got back from Pizzeria Mozza tonight. Yes, I ate there for the second time. Fortunately, I arrived there by around 4:30 p.m. No problem getting a seat at the pizza bar. The rush hour starts at 5:30. I ordered the Margherita, among other things. Mind you, there are other things besides pizza. I started off with some bruschetta topped with white beans alla Toscana. Very nice and filling. Then I ordered their piatti del giorno: fennel sausages, roasted rapini and potatoes. Those sausages tasted so good ... I was told that they were made fresh that morning. That meal is a keeper!! Sitting at the pizza bar, I got to see the kitchen in action, including Nancy Silverton herself. She does the final garnishing and plating of the pizzas. The Margherita tasted simply delicious!! It's definitely all about the crust.

No pictures for now. You just have to go there for yourself. They accept reservations. Definitely call ahead of time. There is a waiting list to get seated in the bar area. Ordering pizza for take-out won't be starting until probably first of the year.

Maybe I'll try to do another walk-in tomorrow for Sat. lunch ...

• 2 months later...

L.A. Times food critic S. Irene Virbila has reviewed Pizzeria Mozza:

It's the toughest reservation in town, maybe in the country right now, the place where everybody in the food world wants to eat ...

There's something so sensual about Silverton's relationship to food and her aesthetic that's entirely her own — direct, focused, uncompromised. She doesn't primp or fuss over her food. It's not art-directed or scripted. But it is entirely original and recognizably hers. And even if you're an Italian purist who's scandalized that she doesn't make pizza exactly like they do in Naples or someone who finds her food too simple and wonders what all the fuss is about, it's precisely this: Her food is vibrant and alive.

I can't believe no one else has commented on this restaurant. I've been able to get in Pizzeria Mozza ... without a reservation. Mind you, I had to wait a while a couple of times, and I try to go at a slow time during the day.

About two weeks ago, Mozza started making their own gelato. Dense. Very little air. You have got to try it.

Has anyone else been to Pizzeria Mozza?

i've been once and it's just about what you'd expect--very simple food done perfectly. great pizzas, of course, terrific apps, particularly the fried squash blossoms. the menu and vibe reminds me a lot of otto, but the wine pricing is less confiscatory. warning: it is a really small space and it is incredibly hot at the moment. nancy told me they have people lining up at 11 for walk-in spots. ive heard the bar is easily managed, though.

I visited in late December and thought it was quite good. Fried zucchini blossoms were delicious. The crust on the sausage pizza was very good (light and flavorful with large air holes), but I didn't like the sparse scattering of large balls of sausage. Ingredients were good, I just didn't care for how it was put together. Butterscotch budino/pudding was ok. The caramel overshadowed the pudding part.

• 2 months later...

I had dinner at Mozza last week and was very very impressed. Upthread russ parsons says it perfectly, its about simple food prepared perfectly. To this I would also add exceptionally fresh ingredients.

Now I am drooling thinking about the meal....

My companion and I started with the the stuffed squash blossoms, so unbelievably good, I could have eaten about 10.

We had two pizzas, the margherita and the sausage, both were exceptional. Great crust, simple ingredients, basically everything great that something as simple as pizza can be. All pizza should aspire to this.

We finished with some gelatti and the caramel bundino, which to me was one of the most absolutely delicious things I have eaten in my life...the hint of salt and the tang of the creme fraiche combined with the caramel was spectacular.

The wine program was interesting, very few labels I recognized though admittedly Italian wine is not my strong suit. I really like the quartino idea in that you feel like you get your money's worth versus buying by the glass at a place that gives a really small pour for the money.

Overall, this restaurant not only meets the truckloads of praise heaped upon it but exceeds them. I can't wait to go back.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields