• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Killer Dinner Roll recipe

vilasman

I don't have my own tried and true dinner roll yet, but another avenue is to use the search button at the very top of the eGullet page, "Search" in dark blue type. You can find a bunch of good existing threads for rolls of different consistencies, etc. Search roll or rolls by serching for "roll*", select "pastry and baking forum" and select search "titles" and report "threads".

I had some delicious rolls made by a friend recently, the "Parker Rolls" from Bernard Clayton's baking book... :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

RLB's basic soft sandwich loaf dough from The Bread Bible makes beautiful dinner rolls, buttery - smells like brioche. She also has a recipe for butter dipped rolls which I've not tried.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

Abra, those rolls sound a lot like the buttery pan rolls from the old Sunset Bread Cookbook, except that recipe calls for twice as much butter and doesn't require any kneading. They're fabulous.