• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In walking distance from 47th and 8th

Daniel

raji, you speak fluent Japanese, don't you?

mm let's just say my pronunciation is a lot better than my vocabulary, so in certain sitatuations, like restaurant banter, I'm pretty much fluent, but in other situations, pretty clueless...

My time in Japan was working in television, and my Japanese senpai, who is the same guy responsible for bringing over and localizing Iron Chef, advised me to throw out any textbooks and find some drinking buddies. so situationally it's pretty damn good, but the longer I stay in NY the more I lose it...

what's it to ya? :cool:

Edited by raji (log)

mm let's just say my pronunciation is a lot better than my vocabulary, so in certain sitatuations, like restaurant banter, I'm pretty much fluent, but in other situations, pretty clueless...

My time in Japan was working in television, and my Japanese senpai, who is the same guy responsible for bringing over and localizing Iron Chef, advised me to throw out any textbooks and find some drinking buddies. so situationally it's pretty damn good, but the longer I stay in NY the more I lose it...

My thought was, when you call to make reservations, they may think you're Japanese, or may favor you because you speak their language. Or it could be what you said, that they simply have trouble communicating with people who don't speak Japanese.

Michael aka "Pan"

My thought was, when you call to make reservations, they may think you're Japanese, or may favor you because you speak their language. Or it could be what you said, that they simply have trouble communicating with people who don't speak Japanese.

I tried a few times making reservations in Japanese there, but at a certain point, she went off into this long explanation in Japanese and there were a few words I didn't understand.. she was explaining the policy. So at the risk of making a mistake myself, I just call in English. Plus the staff's English has gotten a lot better in the 3 years they've been open - it's been a lot of the same gals the whole time...