• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Liquor

Jean Blanchard

Is it a liqueur (i.e., sweet?) or a brandy? I also ended up with a bottle of ginger brandy which is a strong, essence-of-ginger alcohol which I have used in various cooking. When I'm doing a really complicated Asian-based sauce, I'll throw in a splash. I also made some amazing apricot/ginger jam -- not only adding the brandy to the jam base but a good hand's worth of steamed ginger to the fruit compote.

Wish I could find more of mine -- I bought it at a 99-cent store and love it!

I stopped in at the wonderful Pegu Club for the first time this past weekend. Between my drinking companion and me, we enjoyed among other things a "Jamaican Firefly" (dark rum, homemade ginger beer, fresh lime juice) and a "Gin-Gin Mule" (gin, homemade ginger beer, mint, fresh lime juice). Both were served on the rocks in tall glasses. Though ginger liqueur, per se, did not figure in any of their special cocktails, ginger certainly did -- in the form of both ginger beer and candied ginger slices. The floral/spicy flavors of ginger worked well in both the gin and rum based drinks.

I would think this might give you the basis to at least experiment a bit. Not having tried ginger liqueur, I would guess that it will exert a somewhat richer influence on its drinks than did the ginger beer. Enjoy and report back!

Edited by David McDuff (log)

You can make a tasty Lemon-Ginger Cosmopolitan with 2.5 oz. lemon vodka (I like Ketel One Citron for this application), 1 oz. of ginger liqueur, a splash of fresh lime juice to counteract the sweetness of the liqueur and a tiny splash of cranberry or pomegranate for color, then shaken and strained. Garnish with a skewered slice of candied ginger and lemon peel.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You could see what it is like replacing ginger wine in a Whisky Mac - suitable now as winter closes in:

3 parts Scotch whisky

2 parts ginger wine/ginger liquor

Mix in an old fashioned glass without ice.

How about making ginger ice-cream with it?

These are all great ideas! It's only 10:00 AM so I'll need to wait until a little later in the day to actually taste it and judge how sweet it is. Maybe I'll try one of these drink suggestions and then try cooking with it. Should I be worried that I already have the ingredients in the house to make most of the drinks???

Ginger ice cream...that's a strong possibility.

Should I be worried that I already have the ingredients in the house to make most of the drinks???

Heck - I'd be proud! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol