• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Pinot Noir Is Really For . . .

Rebel Rose

gallery_17061_225_17823.jpeg

Image used with permission of Ketcham Estate

Ferrari nut partner of Ketcham Estate, Mark Ketcham also has a quirky spot in his heart for Lola, his Great Dane . . .

gallery_17061_225_43521.jpg

Cars, dogs, women . . . a sense of humor . . . a love of pinot . . .

I love this ad because it's outside the box, it connects about relationships, it's got a quirky, modern sense of humor, and it says hey, men have fashionista spending crushes, too!

Comments?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

A friend of mine sent the same thing around, but with the punchline "that's what the beer is for." As with similar Internet things, it's difficult to tell which came first, but I think they're both funny.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

My experience is that we need the Pinot Noir to make me look good. Sometimes it's worse: Sometimes we need gin.

On the larger question, I think it's a pleasant break from wine ads, which are almost inevitably cheesy and predictable: affluent and middle-aged -- but attractive -- couples in tweed-ish clothing sharing a spectacularly insufficient quantity of wine around a fireplace or a picnic table. That, or something cleavage-oriented. Yuck (not the cleavage, just the lack of imagination).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I dunno... there is something about that ad that I am finding discomforting and disturbing. Definitely turns me off wanting to buy their wine. The woman in the picture looks mildly suicidal.

To me, it looks like some stock photo that an ad for male "performance" issues would use.

:)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I dunno... there is something about that ad that I am finding discomforting and disturbing. Definitely turns me off wanting to buy their wine. The woman in the picture looks mildly suicidal.

To me, it looks like some stock photo that an ad for male "performance" issues would use.

:)

:laugh:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"