• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach Cobbler

birder53

I tend to like peach crisp way better than cobbler...I find most cobblers too doughy.

I am with you on the preference. Peaches can be a bit subtle and the crisp seems to allow peach to come through with the nice contrast of the buttery and sugary topping. I also agree about leaving the peel as so much of the flavor resides there.

I'm with you on crisp over cobbler, but am a purist: peaches, 1/2 cup butter cut into 1 cup each of brown sugar and flour for the crisp.

No peels. I use the "dunk in boiling water for 20-30 seconds and transfer into ice water until cool" method, and the layer of peel comes off so thin it even leaves the red coloring on the peach. I hate that fuzzy stuff.

No spices, unless it's nutmeg which is the perfect spice for peaches. (And is the only one not mentioned here!)

And certainly no oatmeal, which ruins it for me.

I made a large pan yesterday and I have to force myself into eating anything else because it's all I want.

Oh, and I do pour a little cream over it sometimes.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I like a tart which is nearly as easy to make as the crisp or cobbler.

1/2 c butter, 1 c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 1 egg (adjust flour up if egg is jumbo), pinch baking powder, season if you will.

Pat into pan.

slice peaches (I dont like the peel)

arrange slices on crust.

Bake til done. Your definition of done may be brown and crusty. Mine is usually that the center dough is no longer raw, and the peaches are getting smooshy soft.

I bake everything at 350F, but have done this one at whatver temp the oven was at for other things at the time.

Its very touchy-feely.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.