• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Middle Eastern in Bergen County

BunnySlippers

Hi. I'm relatively new to Edgewater and am looking for some really good (and cheap) Middle Eastern food. I've found some good Turkish food here, but I am looking to supplement that with some non-Turkish Middle Eastern restaurants. Any recommendations?

Hi.  I'm relatively new to Edgewater and am looking for some really good (and cheap) Middle Eastern food.  I've found some good Turkish food here, but I am looking to supplement that with some non-Turkish Middle Eastern restaurants.  Any recommendations?

Well...

1) Kervan in Cliffside Park (of the many kebab places in Cliffside it is still the best one)

2) Bennies in Englewood (definitely qualifies as inexpensive, and excellent quality) and Lebanese.

3) Sapphire in Tenafly (my choice for medium-end dining)

4) Samdan in Cresskill

Of the 4, Bennies should not be missed, but they are all good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

1) Kervan in Cliffside Park (of the many kebab places in Cliffside it is still the best one)

2) Bennies in Englewood (definitely qualifies as inexpensive, and excellent quality) and Lebanese.

3) Sapphire in Tenafly (my choice for medium-end dining)

4) Samdan in Cresskill

1, 3 and 4 are Turkish Restaurants. Sapphire is related to Kervan. Kervan is quite outstanding. ANd on the Subject of Turkish, Try Beyti Kabob in Union City. (10-15 minutes from Edgewater) 4105 Park Avenue 201-865-6281, it's well worth the trip.

There was a roundup of New Jersey Middle Eastern restaurants in the New York Times New Jersey section on November 18, 2001. I'm sorry to say it doesn't seem to be available for free online, but if you have access to back issues somehow you may wish to check it out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

1, 3 and 4 are Turkish Restaurants. Sapphire is related to Kervan. Kervan is quite outstanding. ANd on the Subject of Turkish, Try Beyti Kabob in Union City. (10-15 minutes from Edgewater) 4105 Park Avenue 201-865-6281, it's well worth the trip.

I actually beleive Sapphire is better than Kervan, but they are only related in the sense that the nephew of the guy who owns Kervan runs Sapphire -- Sapphire used to be Kervan II, and when the old man got tired of running it he sold it to his nephew. Kervan is still good but is getting a little tired, I think.

In terms of Middle Eastern food in Bergen County, its pretty much all Turkish kebab house places or nothing. Bennies is the one that is truly middle eastern and in my opinion, the best of the bunch.

There is also Shiraz in Edgewater, an Iranian place, but I havent tried it yet. I've heard mixed reactions on it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I actually beleive Sapphire is better than Kervan, but they are only related in the sense that the nephew of the guy who owns Kervan runs Sapphire -- Sapphire used to be Kervan II, and when the old man got tired of running it he sold it to his nephew. Kervan is still good but is getting a little tired, I think.

In terms of Middle Eastern food in Bergen County, its pretty much all Turkish kebab house places or nothing. Bennies is the one that is truly middle eastern and in my opinion, the best of the bunch.

There is also Shiraz in Edgewater, an Iranian place, but I havent tried it yet. I've heard mixed reactions on it.

I agree about the Kervan connection. However, I ate at Kervan twice in the past month and was delightfully surprised at how well everything was prepared and at how good it all tasted. I agree sapphire is a worthwhile go round. BUt let's not count out Kervan.

Shiraz in edgewater was ok when I ate there a few times after it first opened. I was never impressed enough to go back. It may have improved but I couldn't say. I also believe that the cuisine is Afghan and not Iranian.

I recall the folks who used to run Baladi in Montclair (Egyptian / Lebanese) were looking for new space in the Edgewater / Cliffside area, as well as an NYC location.

Did that ever happen?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Babylon by Huffman Koos in River Edge is a nice BYO with a very clean kitchen somewhat visible from the dinning area, the desserts are good and they have tables outside

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Ruth's in Fort Lee has incredible Armenian food, but only take-out. It's right down the street from Silver Pond.

They do a great version of dishes found elsewhere in the Middle East, such as Baba Ganoush, Hommos, etc., but they also have a dish which seems to be just Armenian, called Ich (not sure of the spelling, but sounds like "each"), which is made from fine bulgur wheat.

The owner is really nice, too, and very helpful (he usually, if not always, gives customers something to eat for free when they come in).

I recall the folks who used to run Baladi in Montclair (Egyptian / Lebanese) were looking for new space in the Edgewater / Cliffside area, as well as an NYC location.

Did that ever happen?

They have a catering company in Hoboken.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Shiraz in edgewater was ok when I ate there a few times after it first opened. I was never impressed enough to go back. It may have improved but I couldn't say. I also believe that the cuisine is Afghan and not Iranian.

Apologies to Jason: I drove past Shiraz today and the sign indeed says Persian (cuisine). However, when they first opened the sign read Persian and Afghan Cuisine so at some point they changed to just Persian or they don't advertise the Afghan cuisine after the events of 9/11.