• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

easing into tofu

helenas

First, I agree completely with Priscilla, in that I use tofu for its own qualities, rather than ask it to mascarade as what it is not. We usually marinate it and saute it:

Combine some red wine, a little soy, some olive oil, minced shallot and garlic (or, if you must, onion and garlic powder), a crumbled bay leaf, fresh basil, herbs de provence or fresh thyme and a kiss of rosemary), a tiny bit of basalmic, cracked black pepper. Cut the tofu into serving sized pieces (for us, 2"x2"x1/2" pieces). Marinate in the sauce for up to several days. Saute in a small amount of olive oil, and accompany with some dressed greens for lunch or a light supper.

I ate semi-vegetarian for more than 10 years, but never tried to substitute tofu or its cousins for meat. There are too many fabulous ethnic non-red-meat dishes to do so, and too many ways to use tofu or soy products that don't prostitute its qualities.

eGullet member #80.

I ate semi-vegetarian for more than 10 years, but never tried to substitute tofu or its cousins for meat.  There are too many fabulous ethnic non-red-meat dishes to do so, and too many ways to use tofu or soy products that don't prostitute its qualities.

Yes.

Agedashi tofu. Sublime.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I ate semi-vegetarian for more than 10 years, but never tried to substitute tofu or its cousins for meat.  There are too many fabulous ethnic non-red-meat dishes to do so, and too many ways to use tofu or soy products that don't prostitute its qualities.

I have been vegetarian since birth. Very seldom I eat all kinds of meats and fish.. but never in NYC for the most part.

I never think of Tofu or any other foods as a meat substitute. They are simply foods I love.

I find that who gimmick quiet funny.. if I craved meat, I would eat the real thing. :rolleyes:

I never think of Tofu or any other foods as a meat substitute.  They are simply foods I love. 

You are in good company here.

I eat both meat and tofu, and I eat the tofu for it's own merits.

Sounds like we are all starting to agree... :rolleyes:

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.