• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcoholic Content of Wines

markk

Here's my question:

If you have a wine whose alcoholic strength is 8%, and another which is 11% - in a practical sense, what's the difference by amount of wine - in other words, how much more of the 8% wine would you have to drink to equal the alcoholic content of the 11% wine?

(I've wondered this as well with 13% wines - I won't use the word 'whopping' -versus 11%, but I happen to be sipping an 8% wine at the moment, and thought to ask. How much more would I have to drink to get the same alcohol as an 11-percenter?

THANKS

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Here's my question:

If you have a wine whose alcoholic strength is 8%, and another which is 11% - in a practical sense, what's the difference by amount of wine - in other words, how much more of the 8% wine would you have to drink to equal the alcoholic content of the 11% wine?

You'd have to drink 11/8 (1.375) as much of an 8% wine to equal the alcohol in an 11% wine. So if you have 100ml of 11% wine, the same amount of alcohol would be found in 137.5ml of 8% wine. For the metric impaired, it of course works the same: 10oz of 11% wine would be the same alcohol as 13.75oz of 8% wine.