• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A friend turns 50 . . .

Florida Jim

Mark turns 50 . . .

Hello:

N/V Krug, Champagne:

Nice but not up to the hype/price.

With paella:

1991 Jayer-Gilles, Echézeaux (magnum):

Outstanding nose with sauvage character and mushroom, red fruit scents; a little thin on the palate but pure and clean, well balanced and distinctive; medium finish.

1999 Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Chaignots:

Showing at full song with wonderful fruit and truffle aromas; deep, rich, clean fruit and earth flavors and remarkable length. I did not expect this to be so open and generous but it was everything one could ask of the terroir.

2004 Matinsancho, Rueda:

The best match with the dish and surely the best verdejo I have ever tasted. Exceptional.

2004 Dom. Saint Luc, Coteaux du Tricastin:

Light and easy to drink with good southern Rhone character and a clean delivery.

Chartreux:

I had never tasted this before but I will again; one of the most extraordinary gustatory experiences of my life. But at 54% alcohol, a little goes a long way. Unforgettable.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com