• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

goodnoe's closing

mrbigjas

well folks, it's official--as of september 4, the newtown establishment of goodnoe's dairy farm (click for their website) is closing. apparently the kids have made other career choices, and raymond goodnoe wants to keep it a family business, or not have it be open at all.

this place is the source of one of the greatest ice cream flavors in the known world: peanut butter ripple. no one else makes it like goodnoe's, with big slabs of peanut butter running through the ice cream--no little bits and pieces, no flavor permeating, just great vanilla and gobs of peanut butter. damn it's good.

when i was growing up, goodnoe's was on the outskirts of newtown, on the side of a hill with woods in the background. now a giant strip mall has grown up around it and it sits in a sea of asphalt with a best buy or some crap like that in the background. but the ice cream is still as good as ever. at least it will be till labor day.

i'll be heading up there a couple more times this summer, reliving childhood memories. all are welcome to join me.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

well folks, it's official--as of september 4, the newtown establishment of goodnoe's dairy farm (click for their website) is closing.  apparently the kids have made other career choices, and raymond goodnoe wants to keep it a family business, or not have it be open at all.

this place is the source of one of the greatest ice cream flavors in the known world: peanut butter ripple.  no one else makes it like goodnoe's, with big slabs of peanut butter running through the ice cream--no little bits and pieces, no flavor permeating, just great vanilla and gobs of peanut butter.  damn it's good.

when i was growing up, goodnoe's was on the outskirts of newtown, on the side of a hill with woods in the background.  now a giant strip mall has grown up around it and it sits in a sea of asphalt with a best buy or some crap like that in the background.  but the ice cream is still as good as ever.  at least it will be till labor day.

i'll be heading up there a couple more times this summer, reliving childhood memories.  all are welcome to join me.

James, let me know when you plan on coming, I'm just 5 minutes away. I too was saddened to hear of the closing, it is indeed a newtown institution, one of the few remaining non-yuppie places the town has or had. My daughter worked there for a while and really enjoyed the place.

I'm so with you on the peanut butter ripple, my all time favorite. Now we both know it's no Capogiro, but it's as good as it gets in Newtown.

James, let me know when you plan on coming, I'm just 5 minutes away. I too was saddened to hear of the closing, it is indeed a newtown institution, one of the few remaining non-yuppie places the town has or had. My daughter worked there for a while and really enjoyed the place.

will do. lots of friends of friends worked there too.

I'm so with you on the peanut butter ripple, my all time favorite. Now we both know it's no Capogiro, but it's as good as it gets in Newtown.

well sure, but fancy gelato and oldschool pennsylvania dairy farm ice cream are two totally different beasts--it's apples and oranges, after all.

I, too, am quite surprised and sorry to hear that they're shutting their doors.

I liked black raspberry the best and will always have very fond memories of the lemon (mile high) meringue pie.

If you let me know when, I will also join you folks of an evening for a sugar cone of the good stuff.

Edited by Misha (log)

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

The ice cream has always been excellent, but the food has been consistently fair, at best.

Skip Goodnoe is involved in local politics and other activities outside the restaurant and it's been difficult for him to give it the attention it needs. He owns the building so his overhead is relatively low, but he said that unless he obtained a liquor license he couldn't turn the profit necessary to stay open. Surprisingly, no member of his family wants to take it over.

Goodnoes will retain the name and ice cream recipies in case someone in the family wants to revive it at a later time.

We live nearby but only went occassionally for the ice cream or if a group was headed there for a late bite to eat after an activity. I took for granted it would always be there.

I recall first going there in the late 1970's when Newtown was still pretty rural. I will miss it.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that a Denny's or Perkins Pancake House may be going into the space. This would not be a good thing in my opinion and I really think the borough would fight to keep them out.

Fact is though, Newtown really needs a breakfast restaurant. There is Pat's Colonial Kitchen which is terrific but the space is so confining, it becomes difficult to relax there. I agree with Mano about Goodnoe's food and think he's being too kind actually. I ate there maybe twice in the past 20 years with a large group and vowed to never go back, no loss there. But the ice cream, that's another story.

The ice cream has always been excellent, but the food has been consistently fair, at best. 

oh definitely. actually i think i've eaten there maybe five or six times in my whole life. we always just went for ice cream. and to purchase half-gallons, which are a staple at all family birthday and other celebrations.

A friend's son started working there as a grill cook (no experience whatsoever except he's eaten lots of burgers and fries) so we'll go with them soon. If ther is a group from EG going I'll try to join you.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

• 3 years later...