• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

Here's my first attempt at actual cheese making (I only made yogurt, paneer and ricotta before).

This is acid set cheese (the acidity coming from sour cream, buttermilk and cream of tarter). The acidified milk was cooked until curdles, drained well and salted. Then mixed with a bit of store bought blue cheese dissolved in sour cream. Pressed, salted and left to age in a closed container in the fridge. 5 days later I flipped it, punched holes and salted. Another 5 days and it was flipped, punched from the other side and salted again. I've been draining and letting some air in every couple of days.

It now has a light blue mold scent, and the drained water is tasty (if very salty) with pleasant blue mold and lactic acid flavor. You can see some blue bits in spots.

PXL_20201206_140618754.jpg

shain

shain

Do we have a cheese making topic?

Here's my first attempt at actual cheese making (I only made yogurt, paneer and ricotta before).

This is acid set cheese (the acidity coming from sour cream, buttermilk and cream of tarter). The acidified milk was cooked until curdles, drained well and salted. Then mixed with a bit of store bought blue cheese dissolved in sour cream. Pressed, salted and left to age in a closed container in the fridge. 5 days later I flipped it, punched holes and salted. Another 5 days and it was flipped, punched from the other side and salted again. I've been draining and letting some air in every couple of days.

It now has a light blue mold scent, and the drained water is tasty (if very salty) with pleasant blue mold and lactic acid flavor. You can see some blue bits in spots.

PXL_20201206_140618754.jpg