• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

typos

On 10/27/2010 at 2:22 AM, Honkman said:

We followed the basic recipe from Ricki Carroll's "Home Cheesemaking" and used the direct-set Fromage Blanc starter. Overall we liked the slightly sour taste of the fromage blanc.

One of the ingredients we really miss from Germany is good "Quark". There is some quark commercially available in the US but it tastes lousy. So it was time to make our own which tasted actually better and fresher than most of the quark you will get in Germany. It's very versatile - you can eat it with salt and pepper on bread, mix it with fresh fruits, mix it with jam and use it as a crepe filling or use it for quiche dough.

Quark 1.JPG

Can you post your recipe for Quark? I'm baking my way through Classic German Baking (Luisa Weiss) and I'm looking for a good recipe or substitute. My oven only goes down to 170F and all the recipes I see (including Luisa Weiss's) says it should be at 150F. 

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

typos

We followed the basic recipe from Ricki Carroll's "Home Cheesemaking" and used the direct-set Fromage Blanc starter. Overall we liked the slightly sour taste of the fromage blanc.

One of the ingredients we really miss from Germany is good "Quark". There is some quark commercially available in the US but it tastes lousy. So it was time to make our own which tasted actually better and fresher than most of the quark you will get in Germany. It's very versatile - you can eat it with salt and pepper on bread, mix it with fresh fruits, mix it with jam and use it as a crepe filling or use it for quiche dough.

Quark 1.JPG

Can you post your recipe for Quark? I'm baking my way through Classic German Baking (Luisa Weiss) and I'm looking for a good recipe or substitute. My oven only goes down to 170F and all the recipes I see (including Luis Weiss's) says it should be at 150F. 

Thanks!

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

Quark 1.JPG

Can you post your recipe for Quark? I'm baking my way through Classic German Baking (Luis Weiss) and I'm looking for a good recipe or substitute. My oven only goes down to 170F and all the recipes I see (including Luis Weiss's) says it shouls be at 150F. 

Thanks!