• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea-Tac I-5 Corridor help

I need a restaurant for tommorow night. Here are the criteria; Close to an I-5 exit, within a short distance of a Trader Joes. Make it easy, we're Vancouverites heading to Lake Tapps for the weekend, we'd like to meet with the other couple driving down from Vancouver somewhere for dinner, then pickup the weekends supply of cheap cheese and vino at Trader Joes, as is the custom for all Canadians.

The restaurant should be casual and quick, bonus points for Mexican or barbecue, and Mexican barbecue would endear you forever. (And to be honest, I've never seen a Mexican barbecue restaurant outside of Mexico, and no insult, but Seattle probably isn't the best place to start looking.

So to summarize, easy I-5 ingress/egress, near to Trader Joes, easy for dumb Canucks to find, quick/casual. Anyone have any ideas? Anywhere between Everett and the Weyerhaueser head office is fine as that's where we cut over to Auburn.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Capital Hill TJs and eat at El Gallito, also on Madison a couple blocks away.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Actually Mexican BBQ can be had at Taqueria La Estacion but that's nowhere near a Trader Joe's. Near the U District TJ's I would have said Burrito Loco a year ago but it's now gone. If you want Mexican in or near the U-District there's Agua Verde and Taqueria Morelia. Have fun.

Rocky

Actually Mexican BBQ can be had at Taqueria La Estacion but that's nowhere near a Trader Joe's. 

Actually it is pretty close to the Burien TJs, but not that close to I-5.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I should add that if you wanted good Mexican in the U-district I would go to either Agua Verde or Morelia. There's a lot of bad Mexican to be had in the U-District. While Seattle is not the best place to find Mexican food, it's actually pretty far from being the worst. If you're willing to go to the Burien TJ's you'll find a lot more good Mexican available to you.

Rocky

Indochine and TJs on 99 at 320th Federal Way exit; short hop to lake Tapps from there. Exit 1-5 at FW, go west on 320th, turn right (north) on 99; Indochine is about 2 blocks from 320th -99 intersection. On way back to I-5. go one block south on 99 and TJs is on top hill on right side (construction proejct going on in parking lot).

Easy on, easy off.

Dave

So we ended up agreeing to meet at the U District TJ's. Easy on street parking. Decided to have a drink before shopping. I've always wanted to go to The Blue Moon, got to cross one more thing off the list of things to do before I die. Slightly (no actually very) concerned upon entereing, the clientlele was a little rough around the edges. Okay alot rough. But allowances are made for any establishment with a drinking man animitronic out front. After settling in, we all agreed that the place was actually pretty cool, solid drinking mans establishment, no bullshit, no pretense. Plus a dog sleeping behind the bar. And walls lined with books, a real bar, unlike the crap erstaz english pubs we have up here.

Back to TJ's, buy groceries. Ask the latino checker for a nearby taqueria. He's baffled. As is the guy next to him. I swear, TJ's has a drug testing program, but it's to ensure the staff show up with elevated THC blood levels. Next time you're there, filter all interaction with the staff through the prism of "they're high off their ass" and all the surrealism of the staffs behavior makes sense. I guess running a grocery with a staff that perpetiualy have the munchies makes sense.

Finally, the manager directs us to La Purlita (or something similar, I forget) which was three blocks east on 45th across the street from the Neptune theatre. The TJ's manager needed to be reminded by the staff that he eats there every day, it's his favourite spot. But then again he was probably stoned so his memory loss was understandable.

The restaurant was superb. I had two tacos, one carne asada and one tongue, plus a carnitas torta. Everything was excellent. My friend had the dish of the table though, chipolte enchiladas. So good, nice smoky heat. Burritos on other tables looked good. The washrooms are accessed through the kitchen, which was as spotless as an operating theatre. I really fantasic spot. Delicious, quick and cheap. Definately recommended.