• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rita's Ices

Kobi

First, I agreed with Jeff as to what I read about Rita's being the "McDonalds" of water ice.  Then I thought to myself, what the heck is water ice, isn't it Italian ice? :hmmm:  Deciding for my own piece of mind that it is in fact Italian Ice, I checked out Jeff's link, only to realize that Capogiro is in fact not Italian ice at all, but in fact gelato and Sorbet. :blink:

Upon further investigation, I confirmed my suspicions that Rita's form of gelati is not really gelato at all, but rather a mix of their Italian Ice and frozen custard.  Trying to compare these two establishments would be like trying to compare your favorite pizza parlor to Dominos. :raz:

That being said, I agree with what Jeff is trying to convery.  There is no particular flavor ingredient or aspect of Rita's that you can put your finger on to elaborate on why it isn't as good.  Just as you can get a better cup of coffee outside of a Starbucks, you can get better Italian ice at a multitude of locations other than Rita's--far better.  The lemon tastes like eating a frozen lemon, complete with zest.  The watermelon tastes like watermelon, the mango tastes like mango, and the snozzberry tastes exactly like snozzberry! :smile:  I find Rita's to be to artificially sugary and chemically, and not like an authentic flavored frozen iced fruit.

I guess when it comes down to I just think that high end Italian ice has more of an authentic flavor to it, and Rita comes up short.  Like many successful franchises, Rita's uses successful marketing to drive a familiar tasting mass produced goods to a population that feels comfortable with name brand recognition and is satisfactoraly refreshed by a more or less average product.

Does Rita's make a tasty product?  Sure!  It's just not as good as some of the finer local places that you'll find.

Thanks Hitmanoo. You got my thoughts exactly right. You are indeed correct about Capogiro being an entirely different product from water ice. I only used this example to speak to Rita's "gelati" vs real gelato. I wanted to point out the startling differences between artisinal product made fresh daily by hand without chemicals and I believe preservatives and Rita's offering.

Rita's marketing is indeed well planned and structured. In this area, it is indeed king of water ice. For most people it is fine on a hot summer night. For others, it remains inferior in every way to way can been purchased in Philly or NY.

Just thought I'd mention that the MOJITO sorbet I had at The Jefferson less a couple of weeks ago was from Capogiro. I'm still swooning over it, in case you can't tell... :wink: But Rita's it ain't.

Fwiw, Rita's, for me, is all about the Mango (or Lemon) Misto. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

To address your last post, Jeff:

I think the diff is that when I find a great restaurant, I WANT it to succeed and not become a distant pleasant memory (a la venue) and usually the only way a place can do that is by filling seats, growing and flourishing.

I totally agree with you here. My original point was that I do enjoy turning people on to new and exciting restaurants, mostly gleened from the PA forum. Of course, it goes without saying, I too want these places to succeed- in part for my own self serving interests of continuing to patronize great restaurants.

Theres now one in Nutley - on Center Street, near Franklin Ave. :)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Rita's marketing is indeed well planned and structured. In this area, it is indeed king of water ice. For most people it is fine on a hot summer night. For others, it remains inferior in every way to way can been purchased in Philly or NY.

Further to my point in todays Philadelphia Business Journal: "Water Ice Franchisor is hot for more stores"

Jim Rudolph has bought the Rita's Water Ice company along with several investors. He is a veteran franchisee and this marks his first foray into the world of franchisor.

Current store count is 349 with plans to add at least 70 stores this year alone. Rudolph plans to have 1500 stores by 2012, just six short years away.

The analogy to Whole Foods just got blown to bits, soon you'll have one of these joints on every block - oh God

Further to my point in todays Philadelphia Business Journal: "Water Ice Franchisor is hot for more stores"

Jim Rudolph has bought the Rita's Water Ice company along with several investors. He is a veteran franchisee and this marks his first foray into the world of franchisor.

Current store count is 349 with plans to add at least 70 stores this year alone. Rudolph plans to have 1500 stores by 2012, just six short years away.

The analogy to Whole Foods just got blown to bits, soon you'll have one of these joints on every block - oh God

Don't see anything mentioned in the article about how they prepare their ices, etc. So your issue is that a successful franchise is flawed by the very fact that they're successful? Setting up a franchise that sells flavored frozen water and a custard as their only product is obviously far less complicated than creating an entire supermarket.

Blown to bits? No, I still stand by my belief that just because something's able to be replicated at location after location doesn't automatically categorize it as crap, ie. Whole Foods, Rita's, Brooklyn Pizza, Starwich, etc. Flavoring and freezing water isn't brain surgery... whether you're the local bakery dealing out of a side window or a franchisee following your franchise's instructions. Yeah, IMHO Rita's is good at putting flavor, fruit and water together and freezing it. So are many other places. I just don't believe in faulting a place because they've become successful. Sorry, must be the capitalist in me. :biggrin:

BTW, I've yet to read any product specifics from you, other than "the lemon ice, which is my favorite, was short on tartness and the flecks and little bits of real lemon found in other south philly places," in regards to the issues you have with Rita's. What other flavors have you tried? If you were saying its some chemically, massed produced taste, then hey, you've got a point (though I haven't experienced anything like that from Rita's nor have I seen any comments like that here on the thread) . But that's not what you said, so I'm wondering what your beef with the place is. From your last post, I'd think that its just 'cause their popping up everywhere!

Don't see anything mentioned in the article about how they prepare their ices, etc. So your issue is that a successful franchise is flawed by the very fact that they're successful?  Setting up a franchise that sells flavored frozen water and a custard as their only product is obviously far less complicated than creating an entire supermarket.

Blown to bits? No, I still stand by my belief that just because something's able to be replicated at location after location doesn't automatically categorize it as crap, ie. Whole Foods, Rita's, Brooklyn Pizza, Starwich, etc.  Flavoring and freezing water isn't brain surgery... whether you're the local bakery dealing out of a side window or a franchisee following your franchise's instructions. Yeah, IMHO Rita's is good at putting flavor, fruit and water together and freezing it. So are many other places. I just don't believe in faulting a place because they've become successful.  Sorry, must be the capitalist in me.  :biggrin:

BTW, I've yet to read any product specifics from you, other than "the lemon ice, which is my favorite, was short on tartness and the flecks and little bits of real lemon found in other south philly places," in regards to the issues you have with Rita's.  What other flavors have you tried? If you were saying its some chemically, massed produced taste, then hey, you've got a point (though I haven't experienced anything like that from Rita's nor have I seen any comments like that here on the thread) . But that's not what you said, so I'm wondering what your beef with the place is. From your last post, I'd think that its just 'cause their popping up everywhere!

I belive I've already summarized Jeff's feelings about the shortcomings of Rita's. What I don't get is why you are getting so upset over some opinions that Rita's Italian ice just isn't top quality. The argument isn't that Rita's is midgrade because it is a franchise. The argument is not that Rita's isn't good because it is successful. The argument is that many of us, Jeff included, have sampled Rita's and don't find their product to be up to the standards of many other places we have tried. Nobody is faulting Rita for being a successful business, nor is anyone saying that Rita doesn't put forth an acceptable product. It's just that there are several places that serve a product which has a more natural and all-around better taste than the product they serve at Rita's. It isn't one thing or specifics, it's a conglomerate of things that lead to this conclusion.

To draw some kind of comparison, I think of Cold Stone Creamery. Sure they make a delicious ice cream product, and they are successful. However, I happen to think that their ice cream itself is midgrade, and can rattle off a list of establishments that are serving a far superior ice cream product.

It comes down to a matter of taste, not a matter of upsetting you specifically.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Don't see anything mentioned in the article about how they prepare their ices, etc. So your issue is that a successful franchise is flawed by the very fact that they're successful?  Setting up a franchise that sells flavored frozen water and a custard as their only product is obviously far less complicated than creating an entire supermarket.

Blown to bits? No, I still stand by my belief that just because something's able to be replicated at location after location doesn't automatically categorize it as crap, ie. Whole Foods, Rita's, Brooklyn Pizza, Starwich, etc.  Flavoring and freezing water isn't brain surgery... whether you're the local bakery dealing out of a side window or a franchisee following your franchise's instructions. Yeah, IMHO Rita's is good at putting flavor, fruit and water together and freezing it. So are many other places. I just don't believe in faulting a place because they've become successful.  Sorry, must be the capitalist in me.   :biggrin:

BTW, I've yet to read any product specifics from you, other than "the lemon ice, which is my favorite, was short on tartness and the flecks and little bits of real lemon found in other south philly places," in regards to the issues you have with Rita's.  What other flavors have you tried? If you were saying its some chemically, massed produced taste, then hey, you've got a point (though I haven't experienced anything like that from Rita's nor have I seen any comments like that here on the thread) . But that's not what you said, so I'm wondering what your beef with the place is. From your last post, I'd think that its just 'cause their popping up everywhere!

I belive I've already summarized Jeff's feelings about the shortcomings of Rita's. What I don't get is why you are getting so upset over some opinions that Rita's Italian ice just isn't top quality. The argument isn't that Rita's is midgrade because it is a franchise. The argument is not that Rita's isn't good because it is successful. The argument is that many of us, Jeff included, have sampled Rita's and don't find their product to be up to the standards of many other places we have tried. Nobody is faulting Rita for being a successful business, nor is anyone saying that Rita doesn't put forth an acceptable product. It's just that there are several places that serve a product which has a more natural and all-around better taste than the product they serve at Rita's. It isn't one thing or specifics, it's a conglomerate of things that lead to this conclusion.

To draw some kind of comparison, I think of Cold Stone Creamery. Sure they make a delicious ice cream product, and they are successful. However, I happen to think that their ice cream itself is midgrade, and can rattle off a list of establishments that are serving a far superior ice cream product.

Yeah, what he said. By the way, I am a capitalist in every sense of the word. I've owned 5 businesses over the past 25 years and certainly don't fault Rita's because they are successful. It does seem to me (and hitmanoo) that you are taking our criticism of Rita's product way too seriously.

I have tried explaining my reasons for not liking the product as has hitmanoo but you still want to carry this thing on. Bottom line here is Rita's is expanding big time and franchisees seem to be making money so I really don't think anyone besides you really care if a few of us here really don't like Rita's stuff.

Now can we all just get along people :biggrin:

I wish that Rita's ha

When you're ready for the real gelato go to Capogiro in Philly - 12th and Sanson and the Rittenhouse Park area. The flavor combinations will blow your mind. This is artisinal gelato made from scratch every day with mostly local ingredients by people who really care about quality product. Once you taste it you will be hooked forever.

It's expensive, $4.00 or so for a real small cup of this wonderful stuff. The best deal is to buy online by the pint (6 actually for $60.00)

Check out the site to see where you can buy it locally and check out these incredible flavors:

http://www.capogirogelato.com/main.html

Dang! Were these folks in biz last year? WHere was this info when I needed it? I can't believe we spent 2 nights on Rittenhouse Square & didn't find these guys!

I guess we'll just have to go back.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Blown to bits? No, I still stand by my belief that just because something's able to be replicated at location after location doesn't automatically categorize it as crap, ie. Whole Foods, Rita's, Brooklyn Pizza, Starwich, etc.  Flavoring and freezing water isn't brain surgery... whether you're the local bakery dealing out of a side window or a franchisee following your franchise's instructions. Yeah, IMHO Rita's is good at putting flavor, fruit and water together and freezing it. So are many other places. I just don't believe in faulting a place because they've become successful.  Sorry, must be the capitalist in me.  :biggrin:

Yeah, what he said. By the way, I am a capitalist in every sense of the word. I've owned 5 businesses over the past 25 years and certainly don't fault Rita's because they are successful. It does seem to me (and hitmanoo) that you are taking our criticism of Rita's product way too seriously.

I have tried explaining my reasons for not liking the product as has hitmanoo but you still want to carry this thing on. Bottom line here is Rita's is expanding big time and franchisees seem to be making money so I really don't think anyone besides you really care if a few of us here really don't like Rita's stuff.

Discourse is what egullet's about, isnt it? The beauty of the whole discussion is the fact that we're focused on basically flavored water. Its amusing to see how far one can go debating the merits of frozen flavored water but my prodding to actually have a discussion about the product itself has only produced generalities and not the specifics I had hoped for. Sure, sure, there's lots of Rita's all over the place with more to come. But my goal was to have a discussion about specifics of the product that was offered... good, bad or otherwise. Looks like that's not gonna happen here.

Could have been fun. Too bad.

(Yep, waiting for some response about how having a discussion about the actual product is not worth time or effort involved. :wacko: )

someones time or effort

Discourse is what egullet's about, isnt it? The beauty of the whole discussion is the fact that we're focused on basically flavored water. Its amusing to see how far one can go debating the merits of frozen flavored water but my prodding to actually have a discussion about the product itself has only produced generalities and not the specifics I had hoped for. Sure, sure, there's lots of Rita's all over the place with more to come. But my goal was to have a discussion about specifics of the product that was offered... good, bad or otherwise. Looks like that's not gonna happen here.

Could have been fun. Too bad.

(Yep, waiting for some response about how having a discussion about the actual product is not worth time or effort involved. :wacko: )

someones time or effort

Ok, since you insist.

Rita's product tastes "chemically" with a flavor of syrup and preservative, rather that that of natural frozen fruit. When biting into a mango Italian ice, I want to feel as if I'm biting into a mango that has somehow been transformed into a cup of Italian ice as if the mango tree sprang forth fruit that was in fact Italian ice. When I bite into Rita's version, I feel as if I'm biting into corn syrup and sugar injected into shaved ices with artificial mango flavoring. However, at several local establishments I get the taste and sensation for which I am searching.

At Rita's, I get a close approximation or some facsimile of the real thing. The overall product is too sweet and artificial tasting that comes close to tasting like the fruit it was intended to taste like, but not quite close enough for me to classify it as a top level Italian ice establishment on par with several local establishments I have patronized.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Do not waste your time and taste buds on Rita's........Go to Elizabeth.......DiCosmo's .......4th Ave and High St. It is the best, no chemicals here. It is a 4th generation family business.

Is this their only place? Sounds like the real deal to me. As you can tell, I'm not particularly fond of Rita's and I am officially done with explaining my reasons why!

Dang!  Were these  folks in biz last year?  WHere was this info when I needed it?  I can't believe we spent 2 nights on  Rittenhouse Square & didn't find these guys!

They have been in Philly since summer 2003, too bad you missed this thread. Try locating a store in your area that carries the product. It may not be that days offering, but I can promise you that you've never tasted anything like it, anywhere.

Check the website and look under where to buy

Good luck and good eating!

Dang!  Were these  folks in biz last year?  WHere was this info when I needed it?  I can't believe we spent 2 nights on  Rittenhouse Square & didn't find these guys!

They have been in Philly since summer 2003, too bad you missed this thread. Try locating a store in your area that carries the product. It may not be that days offering, but I can promise you that you've never tasted anything like it, anywhere.

I've been to Italy 4 times in recent years, so I've had the real deal many times. Nocciola e cioccolatto, sigh, there is nothing better on earth...... That's why I'm interested in these folks!

Hmm, they carry it at my local Whole Foods. Now to see if they stock nocciola.

Thanks for the info!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

I've been to Italy 4 times in recent years, so I've had the real deal many times. Nocciola e cioccolatto, sigh, there is nothing better on earth...... That's why I'm interested in these folks!

Hmm, they carry it at my local Whole Foods. Now to see if they stock nocciola.

Thanks for the info!

Just keep in mind the flavors they concoct daily would be hard to find anywhere else. Some flaovrs they've had in the past include:

grapefruit campari, rosemary & goat's milk with creamy marscarpone, marscarpone fig with big chunks of fresh fig, Cilantro and lime, Goat milk and honey, persimmon and black plum, Quince, Asian Pear and Bitter Chocolate, Salted Bitter Almond and Wild Turkey/Poached Pear.

Get the idea now? This is a one of kind deal, I'm not even sure if you could find these combinations in italy.

Keep in mind when buying at Wholefoods, it won't have the same texture as when buying it at Capigiro but it's still better than anything else I've had anywhere in the world.

Do not waste your time and taste buds on Rita's........Go to Elizabeth.......DiCosmo's .......4th Ave and High St. It is the best, no chemicals here. It is a 4th generation family business.

Is this their only place? Sounds like the real deal to me. As you can tell, I'm not particularly fond of Rita's and I am officially done with explaining my reasons why!

It is their only location and is the real deal. I had grapefruit "lemon ice" for the first time the other day and it was great. You never know what flavors they will have at any given time. Most often they have 3 flavors....one is usually lemon or orange. Pineapple has pieces of pineapple in it, mixed fruit has a variety, cherry is another favorite of mine. They are all great!!!!!

Keep in mind when buying at Wholefoods, it won't have the same texture as when buying it at Capigiro.....

I would expect that. But if it even comes close to "the real thing," then they've done something.

I'm not really into all the exotic flavors. It's difficult enough to find nocciola done properly, even in Italy.

JeffL,

Have you tried Colleen's in Langhorne on Bridgetown, past your favorite local Chinese place? My wife had their water ice and said it was better than Rita's. I hear they make it themselves. I had ice cream, also made on premises and it was very good.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Hey, there's no doubt that Rita's fills a niche (just like Pizza Hut or other franchises)...after a round of golf, when I'm hot, thirsty, and wanting something sweet, I enjoy it as refreshment, not as a finely crafted food product. If I'm spending $5. on an ice or gelato (as opposed to less than $3. for a "gelati") I want to savor it slowly. I still remember the fresh Jersey tomato ice I got at Bent Spoon in Princeton last summer...that was intense!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I checked out the link for Rita's Ices--thanks whitetrufflechick. As I live in the vast wasteland that is Northern Virginia when it comes to these types of treats, I can tell you all that I know more than a few people in this area that would do back flips if one these shops showed up nearby. Does anyone know if they use real fruit or just those jugs of syrups used to make snow cones? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing since I like snow cones, but I can't see paying $3.00-$5.00 a pop for a glorified one.

Edited for clarification of comments.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I checked out the link for Rita's Ices--thanks whitetrufflechick. As I live in the vast wasteland that is Northern Virginia when it comes to these types of treats, I can tell you all that I know more than a few people in this area that would do back flips if one these shops showed up nearby. Does anyone know if they use real fruit or just those jugs of syrups used to make snow cones? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing since I like snow cones, but I can't see paying $3.00-$5.00 a pop for a glorified one.

Edited for clarification of comments.

[/q

Must be jugs of fruit mix..Surely you don't think they make their own, from scratch? This is a chain.

If you get tired of Rita's Ices there's always Clydes or King Kone or you can head to Pompilio's in Westwood for Ices. Where IS the nearest Ritas to the Westwood area anyone know?

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

JeffL,

Have you tried Colleen's in Langhorne on Bridgetown, past your favorite local Chinese place?  My wife had their water ice and said it was better than Rita's.  I hear they make it themselves.  I had ice cream, also made on premises and it was very good.

No I haven't been there. The place across from Belmont's garage? Looks like it may be good, I remember passing it a few times. I'll try it and let you know