• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tired of replacing glassware?

LMB

Yes they are; not a photo effect.

Just saw them - what a strange shape; the Mikasa line is so bizarre...

Too bad.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• 1 year later...
Yes they are; not a photo effect.

Just saw them - what a strange shape; the Mikasa line is so bizarre...

Too bad.

I wanted some break resistant stemware for larger parties. The Mikasa Kwarx line has now expanded beyond the "bizarre" shape. I picked up a case of general purpose glasses at an on-line restaurant supply store. Thus far I am quite satisfied- no breakage yet. They have numerous styles.

Oddly, a search of the Mikasa site for "kwarx" reveals no matches and there's no mention of the material nor of break-resistance on their Open Up page. Have I missed the boat? I can still find the Able Kitchen link, but two dozen glasses is one or two more than I'd need. There is, however, still mention of Kwarx on the Mikasa-Fr site.

I wonder if and when I'll be able to go buy some at my local wine shop or home store.

• 2 weeks later...
Oddly, a search of the Mikasa site for "kwarx" reveals no matches and there's no mention of the material nor of break-resistance on their Open Up page.  Have I missed the boat?  I can still find the Able Kitchen link, but two dozen glasses is one or two more than I'd need.  There is, however, still mention of Kwarx on the Mikasa-Fr site.

I wonder if and when I'll be able to go buy some at my local wine shop or home store.

On the Mikasa website, the Select and Open Up lines of Oenology stemware are described but don't indicate they are made of Kwarx- except in the care section of the website, specifically if you don't want to scroll through it:

"CRYSTAL GUIDE

Mikasa Oenology ranges offer a new approach to wine-tasting - more modern, more instintive and more convivial. These products are innovative, with new sizes, designs which cater for all types of wine, and are made from an exclusive material - Mikasa Oenology is an invitation to a voyage during which you will discover all the sensual richness of the vast diversity of wine produced in vineyards all over the world.

Mikasa Oenology glasses Open Up and Select ranges are made from Kwarx.

Kwarx seems to vanish, to enable the range of colours in each wine to be appreciated. Glasses are the most transparent in the world, due to the fact that they are completely colorless.

Kwarx keeps its shiny sparkle wash after wash. Extraordinary brilliance that has been tested in laboratory conditions over more than two thousand industrial washes.

Kwarx is incredibly resistant under everyday conditions. Solidity is obtained by an invisible but very strong bond between the bases, the stems and the bowls of glasses, which results in a perfectly smooth surface which does not have weak points."