• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LaBan Labels Tony Luke's "Touristy"

In today's Inquirer Food Section, in a short blurb congratulating John's Roast Pork for it's Beard American Classic Award, Craig LaBan declared,

Whenever cheesesteaks are mentioned outside Philadelphia, chances are one of the touristy big four - Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, or Tony Luke's - will be invoked.

Being called "touristy" is not praise. And in Tony Luke's case at least, and I submit for Pat's or Geno's too, it is totally inaccurate. Sure, because of Tony Luke's reputation, tourists head there. But Tony Lukes is no more "touristy" than Le Bec-Fin which has it's fair share of out-of-town diners too. Far more Philadelphians than tourists eat at Tony Lukes or even at Pat's or Geno's. In fact I'll wager far more South Philadelphian's probably eat at any of the three than at John's Roast Pork.

I'm still wondering how the Beard judges settled on John's Roast Pork. And I'm still thinking that LaBan directly or indirectly pointed them in that direction. I'm happy for John's Roast Pork and did not realize it is third generation and has been around for 74 years, but I still believe that Tony Luke's is more deserving of the award, better represents Philadelphia eatin'.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Even if they knew, tourists would have a tough time eating at John's because of the workingman's hours. Since John's closes before cocktail hour, the 2am-bars-are-closed gang is SOL.

The hours issus is shared by many locals.

Holly's right that Tony Luke's is in a different league than the first name joints.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I've always referred to Tony Luke's as the great equalizer because lawyers, cops, executives, and workmen all get treated the same on line here. They all wait in the line because they know once they reach the cashier and place their orders for roast pork italiano or even cheesesteaks, they will soon be rewarded with something otherworldly from the cretins who yell their name when it's ready.

Tony Luke's is several cuts above certainly Pat's and Geno's and probably John's too although I really like John's pork sandwich. Not only is Luke's sandwich the best ever, it's the south philly ambiance that makes the joint what it is.

As far as touristy, I don't remember seeing any tourists here and they would kind of stick out as not knowing the protocal. Bottom line is, I don't much care if it's tourists or locals who go as long as they keep making these incredible sandwiches.

It's pretty bizarre to include Tony Luke's in the same category as Pat's & Geno's & Jim's. It's neither walkable from Center City nor remotely near any other tourist attractions.

I would classify Pat's and Geno's as "touristy" in that they are a veritable tourist destination in and of themselves. (I live very close by and get asked for directions nearly daily. Jim's has its own following, but it's South Street that is the primary tourist destination generally.)

And if Tony Luke's is "touristy" in the ho-hum-the-secret's-out way, then so is John's, largely thanks to Dr. LeBan's own cheesesteak article. (Maybe someone took him for a tourist at Tony Luke's and gave him grief?)

they will soon be rewarded with something otherworldly from the cretins who yell their name when it's ready.

"cretins" seems like a mean-spirited, completely unnecessary slam at the hard working folks behind the counter at Tony Luke's.

Whenever I hear "touristy" or "tourist trap" I think of above average prices and mediocre food. I've never had anything but great sandwiches at TL's, and their prices are in line with my local pizzeria's sandwich prices.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I've always felt a little like a tourist at Tony Luke's, just because I don't live in the neighborhood. I've always gotten the sense that 99% of the customers are there several times a week. So no, it's not at all touristy-feeling to me.

(And BTW, from his post, JeffL clearly has affection for the place, so I'm guessing his terminology was an unintentional poor choice of words...)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

... an unintentional poor choice of words...

Bad description of the famous 'tude.

Be ready to order when you get to the window, or backa-da-line!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

A month ago I finally ordered something besides a RPI there. I already

ate 3 that week. I got their meatball sandwich. I was not disappointed.

Same rolls, generous quantity of meatballs and gravy (I got extra gravy on the side but didn't really need it). The meatballs aren't rubbery and tasted great. They get my highest rating.

I only mention this because sometimes you get in a rut at some places. For me it was their RPI - which is not a complaint - but sometimes it's good to try something else on the menu.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

I've always felt a little like a tourist at Tony Luke's, just because I don't live in the neighborhood. I've always gotten the sense that 99% of the customers are there several times a week. So no, it's not at all touristy-feeling to me.

(And BTW, from his post, JeffL clearly has affection for the place, so I'm guessing his terminology was an unintentional poor choice of words...)

Guilty as charged, I plead temporary insanity, but seriously I should have found other words to describe the colorful folks behind the counter.

Same rolls, generous quantity of meatballs and gravy (I got extra gravy on the side but didn't really need it). The meatballs aren't rubbery and tasted great. They get my highest rating.

I only mention this because sometimes you get in a rut at some places. For me it was their RPI - which is not a complaint - but sometimes it's good to try something else on the menu.

Interesting point you make here. As I live 45 minutes away, it's all but impossible for me to order anything but the RPI. I've tried many times to just try their cheesesteak but that smell of the wonderful pork gets me every time.

Interesting point you make here. As I live 45 minutes away, it's all but impossible for me to order anything but the RPI. I've tried many times to just try their cheesesteak but that smell of the wonderful pork gets me every time.

I'll agree with that. And it's alright by me, since, unlike you, I prefer the cheesesteak at John's.

I don't live in the neighborhood either, so I guess that makes me a "tourist," but I sure didn't feel like one on the three occasions I've been there.

I think the epithet is inappropriate and undeserved for Tony Luke's.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Call Pats/Genos touristy all you want.

I actually prefer their standard "cheese with" to the equivalent at Tony Lukes or Johns.

The bread at TL is too crusty and french-bread like for my liking. Pats/Genos use "chewier" rolls.

Edited by stephenc (log)

I'm with you stephenc: I like the Tony Luke's rolls for the wetter Roast Pork sandwich, but not so much for the Cheesesteak.

Although the overall quality of a Pat's steak can be widely variable, the roll is almost ideal, for my taste. But of course I understand that this is a personal thing...

If I could get a Pat's roll, with Tony Luke's meat, with Jim's fried onions, I'd be a happy camper.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

If I could get a Pat's roll, with Tony Luke's meat, with Jim's fried onions, I'd be a happy camper.

You think you'd get any "South Philly 'tude" if you ran around assembling a sandwich like that? (1) Go to Pat's, ask for a roll. 2) Order meat and cheese at Tony Luke's and hand them your bun--you're just trying to be helpful, cutting down on their materials costs... 3) Dash over to Jim's and get them to throw some onions on that sucker for ya.)

I dare you to try it! :raz: