• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to get invert sugar?

sote23

What, if any, is the difference between nulomoline and trimoline?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

and nevuline (i think)...

patrick!  i thought you were the biology hobbyist!

probably has something to do with name branding as well as the source of the sugar?  this is just a guess.

I think you're right -- this chemical industry site lists all the following as synonyms for nulomoline:

12656-78-9,   8013-17-0,   Calorose,   EINECS 232-393-1,   HS 500,   HSDB 2008,   INVERT SUGAR,   Insubeta,   Inverdex,   Invertix,   Invertogen,   Invertose,   Lumolinine,   Metabol,   Nevuline,   Nulomoline,   Sugar, invert,   Travert,   Trimolin

So I suppose these are just different brand names. Which makes sense, since invert sugar can really only be one thing -- a 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose. And that makes me wonder -- isn't invert sugar essentially the very same thing as high fructose corn syrup? The most widely used variety of HFCS is 55%fructose and 45% glucose, which is very close to 50/50.

They are produced in a different ways-- HFCS starts with a glucose syrup and converts some of that to fructose using enzymes, whereas invert sugar is made by splitting sucrose molecules into glucose and fructose also using enzymes (invertase)-- but unless I'm missing something, the end result would appear to be the same thing.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

technically: honey, regular glucose and regular corn syrup are also invert sugars from what i understand.

all of the other stuff listed just contains less water...

but according to patrick's description (1:1 glucose:fructose) then i'm wrong...

technically: honey, regular glucose and regular corn syrup are also invert sugars from what i understand.

Technicially an invert sugar is an equimolar mixture of fructose and glucose, so honey is somewhat of an invert sugar -- it contains almost equal parts fructose and glucose, but contains other sugars as well*. Glucose would not be an invert sugar, and regular corn syrup would not be invert sugar either, since it consists almost entirely (90-95%) of glucose.

*The enzyme that is used industrially to produce invert sugar, invertase, is the very same enzyme that bees use to make honey.

Luis, another source for Nulomoline is sweetc.com.

FWIW, I was surprised to see a package of Pepperidge Farm cookies listing invert sugar in the ingredients list. Has anyone else seen this in other products? It is interesting because the source of the sugar is obscured this way. :hmmm:

thanks flour girl. i will take a look at it.

luis

Luis, another source for Nulomoline is sweetc.com.

FWIW, I was surprised to see a package of Pepperidge Farm cookies listing invert sugar in the ingredients list. Has anyone else seen this in other products? It is interesting because the source of the sugar is obscured this way.  :hmmm:

i've tried honey in ganache, and it just doesn't taste right.