• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anything to eat in Beaconsfield?

Just found out I am to be doing some training for 3 days in Beaconsfield, Bucks.

Anything edible in the area? I get pitiful expenses so no grand country house hotels. Good pub recommendation would be ideal (Especially as it will be during the world cup!)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Beaconsfield itself is not great - chain/pizza places from recollection.

There's Artichoke in Amersham, the Plough at Winchmore Hill.

Buckinghamshire's full of old-fashioned type pubs which are rather full of themselves, but maybe that only begins to rankle when you've lived here a while.

I must confess I've a real soft spot for The Cock and Rabbit at The Lee, which houses a rather hit-and-miss Italian restaurant.

Must be more places but I can't think of anything at the mo'.

EDIT: - You won't be far from Bray, of course

Edited by bainesy (log)

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

You'll find that most of the pubs in Beaconsfield will be full of Army types.

Travel out.

I get quite used to that living in Hampshire....

Other thing - I don't drive! Which might make getting there interesting....

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Bloody hell - you're stuck with pints of fizzy piss and Loch Fyne and Pizza Express for three nights then.

No problem getting there though - regular train straight out of Marylebone.

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Bloody hell - you're stuck with pints of fizzy piss and Loch Fyne and Pizza Express for three nights then.

No problem getting there though - regular train straight out of Marylebone.

Loch fyne and Pizza Express should be fine for two nights - Although it would be like not leaving Winchester. Could try and venture further afield for one night.

full english every morning will probably keep me going most of the day anyway!

You can usually find a half decent pint somewhere if you look hard enough I find.

And there must be an half decent Indian restaurant surely?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Loch fyne and Pizza Express should be fine for two nights -

Would avoid both! Overrated seafood and PE? You can't be serious..

If your budget allows you to cab it over the hill to Amersham, then the Artichoke would probably be your best bet.

Whilst you're in the area, try visit The Royal Standard - 01494 673382 - allegedly the oldest pub in England and the food isn't too bad. The historical atmosphere is quite good.

The Royal Saracens (in Beaconsfield old town) will probably be your place to watch the footie and have a few beers.

Try the local chippy (also in the old town), The Town Friar. Not too shabby.

There is an Indian on the High street too, never eaten there but hear it's half decent.

Enjoy the countryside

Morning people should be forced to milk cows!

The Plough Wavendon is where I work

Yey - yet another pub claiming to be the oldest in England - i must have been in at least 5!

Loch fyne isn't that bad - at least it means you can get SOME seafood in a provincial town. And I have a soft spot for Pizza Express (Or as my friend calls it Mcdonalds for the middle classes...)

I'm stopping at the Bellhouse Hotel I have just found out. Looks fairly bog standard.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Been Booked into the Bellhouse Hotel, which is a bit out of town so I'll be getting a few taxis anyway so could venture a bit further.

Hotel looks ok - I'll give a full report on the breakfast (If usual hotel experience holds true it will be fairly poor)

I love animals.

They are delicious.