• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max Brenner's chocolate lounge

alacarte

Also I am curious about the pop rock shot.. Can you explain it to me. Was it like a chocolate shot with berry flavored rocks?  Was the drink bubbling..  Did you guys try there shake. Was the ice cream made there. Was it icey or creamy.

The pop rock shot was a little shot glass filled with melted dark chocolate. Sitting on top of it were some little bits of white chocolate and then on top of those some pop rocks. They served it with a little spoon (that we had to ask for twice before we received) that you break up the toppings with and push them down into the chocolate. Then you scoop it up and eat it. I have had a chocolate bar with pop rocks in it before, and I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. It is really fun.

I think the ice cream was made there. It wasn't particularly creamy but it wasn't icey, so I guess it falls in the creamy category. Because we were not given spoons, we went at with a fork. The ice cream was so thick that the fork worked.

We didn't have the shake this time, but my husband had been once before and had a shake then. He said it was really good (he had the a mocha shake) and very thick.

• 2 months later...

I finally stopped by Max Brenner at Union Square last week, and I was underimpressed. The presentation is absolutely charming - I love the shapes of their dishes, and the way their chocolate mess is eaten out of a baking pan with small spatulas. But the chocolate itself was mediocre. While presentation does matter, taste matters even more, and I do not think that I will be going back.

Can you expound on the "chocolate mess?"  Spoonable chocolate is always a topic of interest to me!

The chocolate mess is basically a baking pan filled with some brownie-type stuff, whipped cream, sprinkled, ice cream, crunchy stuff, toffee bananas... and they give you these adorable little rubber spatulas to eat it with. It even came with a little beaker of caramel sauce to pour on top.