• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco food help for Montrealers

iharrison

A friend of mine is going to San Francisco (and surrounding areas) alone at the end of May ... May 19 to May 30 specifically. She's a very adventurous traveller and foodie and came to me for advice on where to eat.

So from high end to low end, from posh to grimy, from ethnic to traditional, where, in your opinions, would she be crazy to miss out on? Where should she absolutely eat? She's down for anything at any price, from a cheap fish taco to The French Laundry.

Speaking of The French Laundry, I know it's virtually impossible to get a reservation less than two months in advance, but if she's alone and willing to eat at 6 pm for example, do you think she could get a table? She wants to go there between May 26 and 29. Any advice on how to get a reservation this soon in advance?

Edited by iharrison (log)

She can definitely call and see if she can get on a waitlist for French Laundry. The more flexible she is, the better her chances. If she has no luck with French Laundry, try La Toque. I really enjoyed my meal there. I read on chowhound that some people enjoyed their experience at La Toque more than French Laundry.

In SF, I'm a fan of Boulevard and Jardinere for the more expensive meals. For cheaper meals, I like:

Golden Mandalay - Southeast Asian

Old Mandarin Islamic and Oriental Seafood Restaurant - Chinese

Chouchou - French Bistro food

Tangarine - Pan-Asian fusion

Taraval Okazu Ya - Japanese

Los Flamingos - Cuban/Mexican

Hard Knox Cafe - Soul Food

Old Port Lobster Shack (Redwood City) - New England style seafood

Amber India (Mountain View) and Roti (SF) - Indian

A good place for her to sample different things is the Ferry Building and Epicurious Garden (Berkeley).

Speaking of The French Laundry, I know it's virtually impossible to get a reservation less than two months in advance, but if she's alone and willing to eat at 6 pm for example, do you think she could get a table? She wants to go there between May 26 and 29. Any advice on how to get a reservation this soon in advance?

If I had my heart set on dining at the Franch Laundry -- and I would if I thought I might not get back to the area for a while, I would make hotel reservations in Napa Valley for at least two nights at one of the other two Relais & Chateaux properties in the valley, Auberge du Soleil and Meadowwood. The meal is probably better at Auberge if your friend has a choice of where to stay.

Then, I would call the concierge and ask for reservations one of the nights in the hotel's dining room and the other at the French Laundry. He or she can probably get that done particularly if your friend is flexible on both date and time.

The real problem is that she wants to be in Napa Valley over Memorial Day weekend. I am betting the hotels are packed then too.

I second the visit to La Toque. Note that LaToque is closed Monday and Tuesday.

Incanto, Quince, A16, 1550 Hyde, and Delfina are all good choices at the mid-tier. Takara, Kiss, and Ino for sushi.

At the lower end - Ali Baba for shawarma, the falafel is also very good. Pagolac for Vietnamese, the 7 course beef is delicious and a fun way to spend an hour playing with your food. Shalimar for Pakistani - the tandoori chicken is the best I've had anywhere. Baguette Express in the Tenderloin has good bahn mi and they've got a sugar cane juicer - it's hard to beat for a $5 lunch. Across the street is Gyro Kabob where the adonna kabob is quite good.

At the high end, I'd head out of SF to the French Laundry, La Toque, and Manresa. While you're up in Napa, Terra and the Martini House are good bets. Stop at Taylor's Refresher in St Helena while you're at it. Bistro Don Giovanni is also good as are the pair of Yountville bistros - Jeanty and Bouchon.

I dunno if I'm an expert...I certainly like to eat and cook.

She has to have a Mission style super burrito at one of the higher rated burrito stores on Burrito Eater. If she doesn't she'd be missing out on a quintessential San Francisco experience.

If she wants more authentic upscale Mexican food, I'm not sure what to advise. Possibly Mamacita in the Marina; but, I haven't been there yet to vouch for it myself.

The Ferry Building Farmers' market is a lot of fun on Saturday. I think there are even a couple eGulleters with stores or shops there. I like to get a pulled pork sandwich and lemonade from golden gate meats and sit on a bench watching the boats in the harbor. If your friend is here on Wednesday, have her check out the Civic Center Farmers' Market. It's a lot more down to earth. The Alemany Farmers' market is also on Saturday, and if she wants a tour, let me know. It's a couple blocks from my house. Also, more of a real person's farmers' market.

I like restaurants run by what might seem like obsessive persons. A restaurant called Canteen has been one of my recent highlights. It is run almost single handedly by a chef named Denis Leary and provided one of the best meals I've had lately. Another interesting place is Jai Yun. Again, it is run almost single handedly by a chef, reflecting his vision, in this case, of Chinese food.

Another place in San Francisco that may very well be unique is Cafe Jacqueline. The menu is made up almost entirely of souffles and, again, is run somewhat obsessively by a chef with a singular vision.

A restaurant that I've been going to since it opened is Chow. It has now expanded to three restaurants; but, as someone who used to work in food service, it never fails to amaze me with the consistency of value it provides for the dollar and exceptional quality of ingredients.

I do like Incanto, as well, and recommend checking it out. The antipasto platter with house cured meats is some of the best charcouterie you'll find on the West Coast.

Neither will be the best meal of her trip; but, I like to recommend a couple other old school San Francisco establishments. The Tadich Grill and Swan Oyster Depot. Tadich grill has been in operation since 1849 and really is a pretty cool place, surly senior citizen waiters and all.

Certainly, she has to go to Chez Panisse or Chez Panisse Cafe while she is here. I really don't think a trip to the bay area for a food person would be complete without visiting.

I dunno how much fun it would be for one; but, Manka's Inverness Lodge in is a pretty unique experience and some of the best food in the whole of the Bay Area.

I'll try to think of other places...

edit - grammar

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

This is great so far. Thank you all.

Any particular neighborhoods that stand out as foodie faves? i.e. ideal for pedestrians, easy to walk into places to grab a good, quick bite, coffee, pastry, sandwich, whatever.

For walking, North Beach is a good choice. There is a lot to see and explore. While there, L'Osteria del Forno, 519 Columbus Ave. reminds me more than any place in the city of the great little places in Italy. No reservations and it can get crowded. The best strategy is to get there when they open for lunch or early for dinner. It's not large and fills up quickly. You can have anything from a sandwich on foccacia, to pasta, to real secondi, and they have a nice selection of wines by the glass.

A trip to the Ferry Building is a must. By the way, I love Sinbad's next door for a drink at the bar with a upclose view of the Bay Bridge.

I agree that Tadich Grill and Swan both give a feeling of old San Francisco, and would be good choices. Swan is all counter service and Tadich has it as well, so they are good choices for single diners. Also Jeaunty at Jack's comes to mind for old SF charm and good food.

I also agree with Chez Panisse- either up or down. It's a must-see for any foodie as far as I'm concerned.

Piperade has a communal table and I think the food is excellent and interesting for the price. It's casual and fun. Zuni might also be a good choice for a solo.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)