• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

He's secured a position as a private chef. I think that's wonderful for him, that someone will pay him well to do what he obviously loves to do, and does at such a divine level. I can't help but wonder though, how long before savvy investors back him, and open up Shola, Restaurant Kitchen.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

He's secured a position as a private chef.  I think that's wonderful for him, that someone will pay him well to do what he obviously loves to do, and does at such a divine level. I can't help but wonder though, how long before savvy investors back him, and open up Shola, Restaurant Kitchen.

Can you just imagine being wealthy enough to come home from work every night and dine in this fashion? I can't, but it must be nice.

Can you just imagine being wealthy enough to come home from work every night and dine in this fashion? I can't, but it must be nice.

Agreed, but let's also remember that there are other ways one can be a private chef (i.e. in private corporate dining rooms, law firms, etc.).

I'm just speculating. Join me! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Agreed, but let's also remember that there are other ways one can be a private chef (i.e. in private corporate dining rooms, law firms, etc.).

I'm just speculating. Join me! :laugh:

Curlz, I don't know about you, but I think Shola is such a perfectionist and so into what he does, I don't see him in a corporate dining room. I like to think that some lucky guy (or girl) has retained this amazingly talented chef to prepare their family meals.

On the other hand...some of these big corporations have lots of $$$ for wining and dining their top executives. What a great perk

On the other hand...some of these big corporations have lots of $$$ for wining and dining their top executives. What a great perk

That's the type of scenario I was imagining...think about some serious high-level business being conducted over that amazing food. If that wouldn't impress potential clients/business partners, what would?!?

On the other hand, I can't picture him preparing 'family meals' on a daily basis (8 year-old "What is THAT?!? I want Fruit Loops!" comes to mind), so what do I know?!? :wacko::wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Stealing Andrew Fenton's line, that's living sous vide loca!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Private sector (yawn).

If he REALLY wants to make a difference and some big bucks, he should be pitching his talents to McDonalds.

Can't you see it?!?:

The McHot Spring Eggwich

Sundaes and Shakes with McCauliflower foam

Grilled Palmetto McSquab Sandwich in Banyuls Jus

McRack of Rabbit Happy Meal

I belch, therefore, I ate...

• 4 months later...

StudioKitchen exists only in our memories today. The name is no longer on the doorbell. There is some discussion in the posts from this spring on this thread.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Studio Kitchen? I've tried emailing at studiokitchen424@aol.com but the email was sent back because of an "undeliverable address."

Thanks

See Post #502 in this topic.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 months later...

For a great read on Shola by Shola including some background on SK, see Ideas in Food, the blog of Alex Talbot and Aki Kamozawa. While it might not quite assuage your SK Jones, it may be the next best thing.

I am finding out the few are interested in the basic foundations of cuisine, certainly there is something to be said for innovation but innovators and forward thinkers are grounded in the classics. Modernism to me is more effective when transparent. I take a lot of cues from other “artists”, architects and musicians primarily because of the creative process.

Inter-disciplinary conversations and explorations were the best part of Studiokitchen  dinners. Inspiration is all around us and we just have to expand our minds and venture outside the world of food every now and then.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

D*mn, and to think I missed out on this wonderful mind and excellent chef!

...innovators and forward thinkers are grounded in the classics...

I have a similar argument for writers:

"In order to break the rules properly, you must know what they are first."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 month later...

I hope at some point to experience it. After having dinner with docsconz recently and him raving over the food makes me want to go even more!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I hope at some point to experience it.  After having dinner with docsconz recently and him raving over the food makes me want to go even more!

It was something special, no question.

• 2 months later...

OK, it's not quite StudioKitchen, but for those of you pining for Shola's cooking, or if you hadn't experienced it while he was doing SK, there's an opportunity to sample his cooking at at restaurant in Philly. He's doing one dinner as a guest chef at Apamate.

Details here.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 months later...

Anyone else having a problem opening the blog? Wonder if we crashed the server! :laugh:

ETA: Finally got it to load. YIPPEE!

Edited by Curlz (log)