• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesesteaks Off The Radar

Rich Pawlak

I had a really nice mushroom cheesesteak in Norristown today at a little out of the way (for me) place called Eve's Lunch. I tried their Eve's Special & Tuna lettuce-free "zeps". The Eve's zep has a cooked salami that Hatfield has been making special for them for a long time. All the sandwiches were top-shelf. There's plenty of vegetation, though. Enough sliced raw onion to make a pot of onion soup. If my wife & daughter weren't with me (and in a hurry) I would've tried the burger zep and the pork roll zep.

They get their rolls from Corropolese and West Conshy bakeries, so it's a winner across the board.

Eve's Lunch

1014 Sandy Hill Rd

Norristown, PA 19401-4149

(610) 277-6600

Ordered a great cheesesteak from Angelo's Food Truck at the NE corner of 16th and Chestnut. From what I understand, he disappeared to complete some education courses. But he's back cooking as good as ever now.

I noticed he'd been gone, too. I've never tried his cheesesteak. There's always a fairly long line there, so I don't stop in too often. My go-to truck is Maria's, on the east side of 16th, in front of the Centre Square building (not to be confused with the neighboring truck, recently sold by Tommy and now grim). Maria's cheesesteaks are pretty serviceable.

Ordered a great cheesesteak from Angelo's Food Truck at the NE corner of 16th and Chestnut.  From what I understand, he disappeared to complete some education courses.  But he's back cooking as good as ever now.

His parents make great cheesesteaks, too, in their cart at the NW corner of 16th and Cherry.

The best food truck cheesesteak is Gus', Broad and Callowhill, right outside of the Daily News/Inquirer building. All of his stuff is really good, actually.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I really do appreciate all of the responses, folks, I really do, but many of the places you're mentioning are places where'd you'd EXPECT to get a decent cheesesteak. What I am looking for are cheesesteaks in unlikely venues, namely restaurants, bars, or other venues where a decent cheesesteak would not be expected.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I really do appreciate all of the responses, folks, I really do, but many of the places you're mentioning  are places where'd you'd EXPECT to get a decent cheesesteak.  What I am looking for are cheesesteaks in unlikely venues, namely restaurants, bars, or other venues where a decent cheesesteak would not be expected.

Lee's Deli (not the chain) is a pretty unimpressive looking small-scale diner on the corner of 47th and Baltimore. Scott, though, makes his own barbecue and buffalo sauces and uses high-quality meats and vegetables. Easily the best chicken steaks I've had (I know some don't consider them real steaks) because he starts with a real boneless breast and shreds it on the grill as it cooks. Best with the broccoli spinach chicken steak, very garlicky. Rest of the menu (other than breakfast) is mediocre, but the steaks are good.

I really do appreciate all of the responses, folks, I really do, but many of the places you're mentioning  are places where'd you'd EXPECT to get a decent cheesesteak.  What I am looking for are cheesesteaks in unlikely venues, namely restaurants, bars, or other venues where a decent cheesesteak would not be expected.

Lee's Deli (not the chain) is a pretty unimpressive looking small-scale diner on the corner of 47th and Baltimore. Scott, though, makes his own barbecue and buffalo sauces and uses high-quality meats and vegetables. Easily the best chicken steaks I've had (I know some don't consider them real steaks) because he starts with a real boneless breast and shreds it on the grill as it cooks. Best with the broccoli spinach chicken steak, very garlicky. Rest of the menu (other than breakfast) is mediocre, but the steaks are good.

Excellent lead--thanks!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"