• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

That is very close.   It is a 19thC French fireplace basting tool.   one of its several names, a coqueron.   One put chopped fat in the cup and held it in the fire until the fat melted and then wafted it over a roasting chunk of meat, melted fat dripping out the bottom hole.   In the Landes department, they used ham fat for a particular flavor.

In the country, we often cook in the fireplace in winter.    I sought and bought this to use.   But husband became so enamored of it that he refuses to use it as it was intended.    So now, it's a kitchen artifact.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

That is very close.   It is a 19thC French fireplace basting tool.   One put chopped fat in the cup and held it in the fire until the fat melted and then wafted it over a roasting chunk of meat, melted fat dripping out the bottom hole.   In the Landes department, they used ham fat for a particular flavor.

In the country, we often cook in the fireplace in winter.    I sought and bought this to use.   But husband became so enamored of it that he refuses to use it as it was intended.    So now, it's a kitchen artifact.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

That is very close.   It is a 19thC French fireplace basting tool.   One put chopped fat in the cup and held it in the fire until the fat melted and then wafted it over a roasting chunk of mea, melted fat dripping out the bottom hole.   In the Landes department, they used ham fat for a particular flavor.