• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 9/27/2017 at 11:54 AM, liuzhou said:

Despite that rather strange report, grape production is negligible here. I'm sorry but your information is bunk. The overwhelming majority of grapes in China come from Xinjiang in the far west of China which is nearer to Europe than to here. 

I visit the town mentioned in that link at least two or three times a month. Never seen grapes or heard anyone talking about them. I think someone has swallowed an over-optimistic press release. Your link is to a notorious government owned propaganda site full of happy smiling peasants.

I would bet everything that it isn't a grape knife. Who is going to manufacture and sell a grape knife targeted at a place with next to no grapes?

I did not state that the knife was "targeted for a place with no grapes."  Similar knives are made and sold in the U.S. (mine is a 40-year-old DEXTER), France, Italy, etc.  I happened to mention the PBS slow food series that had a much longer segment on the famous Turpan grape festival in Xinjiang where "hundreds of grape varieties are grown and there are several grape-tasting events during July and August, the peak season.."

Other provinces were mentioned that conduct festivals associated with food and with the harvest. As I recall they mentioned a "Hungry Ghost Festival" and others. Certainly there has been huge promotion of Chinese wines and grape production for wine at the world wine tastings.  And one article stated "At the same time, there are new wineries in Hunan Province, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region and Jiangxi Province making wines with the wild Vitis davidii and Vitis quinquangularis.
 And this is not from a "propaganda" source but from Decanter, published in the UK.   I don't believe my information is "bunk."  

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 1.16.06 PM.png

I think this one is from China.

59cd5d40b7f70_ScreenShot2017-09-28at1_31_23PM.thumb.png.d02812f0a8047097456071fe9413e202.png

And this is one used by a friend that bought it in France.  They vary in blade length and curvature, some are more hooked, but they are called grape knives in many catalogs or pruning knives. 

And according to my friend, who grows grapes, they are preferred for grafting vines onto rootstock.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 1.28.34 PM.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 9/27/2017 at 11:54 AM, liuzhou said:

Despite that rather strange report, grape production is negligible here. I'm sorry but your information is bunk. The overwhelming majority of grapes in China come from Xinjiang in the far west of China which is nearer to Europe than to here. 

I visit the town mentioned in that link at least two or three times a month. Never seen grapes or heard anyone talking about them. I think someone has swallowed an over-optimistic press release. Your link is to a notorious government owned propaganda site full of happy smiling peasants.

I would bet everything that it isn't a grape knife. Who is going to manufacture and sell a grape knife targeted at a place with next to no grapes?

I did not state that the knife was "targeted for a place with no grapes."  Similar knives are made and sold in the U.S. (mine is a 40-year-old DEXTER), France, Italy, etc.  I happened to mention the PBS slow food series that had a much longer segment on the famous Turpan grape festival in Xinjiang where "hundreds of grape varieties are grown and there are several grape-tasting events during July and August, the peak season.."

Other provinces were mentioned that conduct festivals associated with food and with the harvest. As I recall they mentioned a "Hungry Ghost Festival" and others. Certainly there has been huge promotion of Chinese wines and grape production for wine at the world wine tastings.  And one article stated "At the same time, there are new wineries in Hunan Province, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region and Jiangxi Province making wines with the wild Vitis davidii and Vitis quinquangularis.
All rights reserved by Time Inc. (UK) Ltd. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Decanter. Only Official Media Partners (see 'About Us' page on the website) of DecanterChina.com may republish part of the content from the site without prior permission under strict Terms & Conditions. Contact china@decanter.com to learn about how to become an Official Media Partner of DecanterChina.com."  And this is not from a "propaganda" source but from Decanter, published in the UK.   I don't believe my information is "bunk."  

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 1.16.06 PM.png